New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Public [or not so] WAP's: A Discussion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WhitE_RabbiT

Well guys, the weather here in Pittsburgh has finally taken a turn for the better. Fortunately for me, I have off from work today. I was thinking about how much I'd like to go outside with my PB and just browse the internet. Wouldn't it be great to go to a local park and just surf, while enjoying the weather? Obviously, this is unlikely. After all, I doubt I'll be able to get any WAP signal in the middle of a park.

Anyway, this brings about the topic of my "discussion." Where have you guys found there to be public, and private (yet accessible) access points? Is there anywhere that you guys go to play? Anybody here from Pittsburgh that knows of any specific places?

I was thinking, I could also probably go to Pitt's campus, or even better, CMU's. I'm sure I could find a signal around there.

Well, feel free to post some input on where you've found WAPs.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

www.wifinder.com is where i find my places

Most college campus's require you to log on to access the wifi

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Also good places can be found near Starbucks coffee places or Borders and Barnes and Noble and maybe near libraries
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

There is an amazing program that i use called Kismac http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17199 that will actually activly scan for Wifi networks around you. But lets not forget that logging onto a WAP could put you behind bars ( http://securityfocus.com/columnists/237 ) so use at your own risk.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

i use MacStumbler for testing signal strengths

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitE_RabbiT
Well guys, the weather here in Pittsburgh Is there anywhere that you guys go to play? Anybody here from Pittsburgh that knows of any specific places?
I was thinking, I could also probably go to Pitt's campus, or even better, CMU's. I'm sure I could find a signal around there.
Well, feel free to post some input on where you've found WAPs.
-Hey there White RAbbit. where in pittsburgh do you live?...I live on the South Side, and go to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh (not always proud of it..but hey). I have wireless in my house, and almost all my friends houses that I go to, there is wireless. I haven't found any outside anywhere....oh wait...you can go to the BeeHive, they have free wireless if you buy a drink...and I think they have some outside spot...not sure...never been there if they do. Other than that..I know places lik U Pitt and Carnegie have them...but not just anyone can acces those....
QUOTE Thanks
WhitE_RabbiT

I live in the north hills. Gibsonia to be exact.
i have wireless in my house as well, but you know, always looking for somewhere interesting to go
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinkin of selling my 15 TiPB and getting a new one..worth it? | 12"Powerbook vs G5 »