New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Importance of RAM Specs in upgrading

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

snazzed

snazzed is on a distinguished road

Ok, I just re-entered MacLand after serveral Macless years... bought a used 15" G4 Powerbook but it only has 512MB of RAM and I think I need more.

I know, when upgrading PCs, the RAM specs don't make a difference as long as they are better than your current memory.

The RAM in my Powerbook are 2x 256MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM. I don't have to buy the same speed, do I?

When upgrading I can get a Kingston 1GB 667Mhz SODIMM? As long as it is pin compliant IE also DDR and not DDR2, it doesn't matter that it is 667Mhz does it?

Thanks
snazzed
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

A faster clock speed rating of the RAM sticks will not matter, they will all run at speeds slower than their rating.

Everything else must be compatible.

Don't know that you will find any DDR memory faster than PC2700 though.
According to my memory (I am getting senile, so could be wrong), the top speed memory for DDR is PC3200. This was also the starting point for DDR2.

If you found some Kingston DDR at 667, would strongly suggest you verify this at Kingston's site, not at the distributors site.

Still don't know that I would stick that RAM in your notebook since you'll definitely not be doing any overclocking on your Mac.

edit: Yep, just checked Kington's site, they have no DDR sticks listed above PC3200.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
snazzed

snazzed is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bobtomay. I thought that was the case, but it is good to know. I'll just make sure I get DDR1 and it'll all be good.

Thanks again
snazzed
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Book PRO >> rebooting all the time | Macbook just shut off on me »