New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook or Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

happydude

happydude is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IPod Nano - 2GB

Howdy,

I've spent time at the local Mac shop weighing the pros and cons of each model but I still can't make up my mind. I've used PC's all my life but I want to make the switch to a Mac for their ease of use and lack of viruses. I'd like to take it with me to university but I'll only be using it to take notes. I haven't required special programs for school in the past three years and it's not likely I'll be needing one in the future. It will probably not see use for video editing or music making and I don't even own a digital camera. I have a Dell desktop that came with a bunch of blue cd's but I don't even know which one has Windows XP on it so I probably won't be using Bootcamp. Main uses will be internet and word processing.

I'm attracted to the regular Macbook since it's smaller and has a longer battery life. I'm thinking of getting that neoprene sleeve for protection which makes me wonder if I could stuff it in my backpack though. Being cheaper than the Macbook Pro doesn't hurt either. The only thing that deters me from buying one right now is the GMA950. I'm by no means a hardcore gamer but I like to play the odd game. I'm interested in picking up the Mac versions of Age of Empires II and II, Rise of Nations, and Call of Duty I and II. That's it. Rise of Nations was not built for the Intel Macs which conerns me. The Dell I'm typing this on had 1GB of Ram and is running integrated intel graphics that I play AOE II, RON (demo only, just recently 'discovered' this game), and COD I on just fine. This computer will not run AEO III well. I have to stick with two players, small maps, low unit counts, low settings, and even then I get bad lag when the action starts. Gaming is not a serious concern for me and I'm quite happy playing AEO III and COD II on the lowest graphics settings and resolutions possible so long as they have playable frame rates.

I'm just not sure if I can justify the added expense of a Macbook Pro since I could care less about running Doom III or Quake IV at a bajillion frames per second on a high resolution. At the same time, I'd really like to be able to play the Mac versions of COD II, AOE III, and RON so I don't have to mess around with Bootcamp. The problem is I don't know if the Macbook, I should clarify I'm looking at the 2.16's with 2GB Ram, can even do these at low framrates. I've seen Youtube videos of COD II on a Macbook, but it was hard to tell if it was any good or not. Searches here produced inconclusive results.

So..... what would you do?
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

diesel828 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.

If your computer's primary function will be to do work for school, I'd go with the MacBook. You can't go wrong with the new ones. They have 1GB of RAM, up to 200GB hd space, and 2.16GHz processors. I really can't find reason to justify the extra money on the Pro because I don't think you'll be needing it, and you'll certainly be needing the money for college.

Good luck.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
www.myspace.com/callofdoody
QUOTE Thanks
happydude

Another thing I've wondered about is if the extended warranty is worth the money.
QUOTE Thanks
cramar

cramar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
Another thing I've wondered about is if the extended warranty is worth the money.
The beauty about Apple's extended warranty is you don't have to decide now. You have a year to decide—great if you spent all your money buying the machine. Meanwhile you are covered by Apple's normal warranty anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
happydude

The cost of the MBP does not deter me so much as I'm not sure if it would be a wasted expense or not. That is, since I only *kind of* need a video card, I could get the cheapest MBP but I'd want to upgrade it to 2GB Ram, which puts it up at $2200 (CDN, with school discount) vs. $1550 for a 2.16 MB with 2GB Ram. I'll be waiting until at least mid-June to see what happens to the MBP line though. The MP is still attractive for it's portability and the price means more cash for accessories; like finally getting a digital camera. It's hard to justify at least $700 for gaming, even more so for a $2600 mid-level MBP.

So, as much as I despise Youtube, are these videos legit?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WetOF87RMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mMwV_K7MNc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCQu1oskiv0
This level of performance is fine, (good enough at low details levels with the odd slow-down with smoke or heavy effects), but it's hard to gauge the accuracy.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Hey Happydude,

Welcome to the Forums. I am a recent switcher and I just got me the Black MacBook with 2GB rams and 160GB HDD and I love it. doesn't miss a beat and it works flawlessly. I even run Windows XP (yuck!) through Parallels because of work purposes and even that works great.

MacBooks are awesome and its very light and elegant on the go kick butt Laptop.

thats my 2 cents

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
happydude

Playing with a IBook G4 right now, I like the small size of it. I think I'm going to go with a regular Macbook, but will wait a couple weeks to see what the new MBP's are like.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

Happydude, based on all you've said, I'd encourage you to get the MacBook.

I tried a 12" Powerbook, the size of which I ADORED. But it was just too slow! The difference in speed was incredible between the 1.5 G4 PowerBook and the 2.0 Intel C2D MacBook.

Waiting a couple weeks is a good idea though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

Get the macbook and take the extra $700 and get a Canon 400D

CPU 2ghz C2D Black Mackbook/2gigs Ram/120gigHDD
Camera Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lenses Canon 18mm-55mm/100mm Macro/75-300mm/70-200f/4L/10-22 UWA
Check Out My Work
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

The Macbook is indeed much smaller and lighter than it's more capable cousin. That's kind of important for me, because I take mine everywhere I go just about. The screen size is perfect, and you can span to an external monitor anyway with ease. The MBP my colleague has is considerably larger (not sure if it's the 15" or 17", but it's still a hefty laptop.) Also the MBP has firewire 800 if that's a consideration.

Mine plays UT2004 (Mac; Universal) just fine if that's any guage on game performance.

Oh, and as for movies, etc. if you get any Macbook, you'll then have a digital camera. I never thought I'd put anything up on YouTube until I was messing around with my iSight and was struck by inspiration. Quick 'filming' and editing with iMovie, and all of a sudden I was a producer/director/star!
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Yeah, MacBook is the one for you. I got mine 6 months ago and still working very well. Just got my two 1GB RAM which I am going to install shortly and based on the other threads this will make a big difference.
QUOTE Thanks
smitty1288

smitty1288 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook, 2.16 GHz C2D, 2 GB ram, 160 GB HD

You did post this in the Macbook forum. That seems like a sign to me...
QUOTE Thanks
happydude

I really would prefer the Macbook (size, price, not a big gamer), but it's hard to know if those videos of people playing COD II on Macbooks and Mac Minis are legit or not. Will still be waiting until the 11th though.
QUOTE Thanks
happydude

I'm glad I waited. The cheapest of the new MBP's has a dedicated video card that's good enough for casual gaming, 2GB of Ram, better battery performance, and is an even $2K. A white 2.16GHz MB with 2GB of Ram is $1545. Makes my decision a little more difficult, but that new MBP is really tempting. Now it's just up to me, thanks for all the help guys. Oh, and with the buy a Mac get a Nano deal I can give my 2GB Nano to my mom and buy a newer larger one.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

That will make your mom happy. Be sure to put into it songs she likes ;-).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help Starting Up | Macbook Battery Specifications »