New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Upgrading a G3 with new parts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KeNuB927

KeNuB927 is on a distinguished road

I have an iBook G3 and I want to upgrade the parts in it.

What I want to replace with the original parts is:
-Intel Core 2 Duo Proccessor
-2GB of RAM
-at least 80 GB of Hard Drive
-SuperDrive DVD Burner

If someone could point out somewhere I could buy these parts for a reasonable price and also a website with a tutorial for me to put them in... please post it up here.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

1. Not possible. the board and processor are one so the processor cannot be removed. Even if they were, a core 2 duo would not fit on a PPC board from a G3.
2. You're not going to find a logic board to fit in a g3 12" or 14" unless its another G3 model of the same screen size.
3. I believe you can only mac out a G3 laptop with one RAM stick. There is one built into the logic board. Max side made for a G3 laptop will be 512MB.
4. Any 2.5" IDE laptop drive will work
5. eBay for a superdrive. I am working on a guy who bought an off brand superdrive for his 500MHz G3 12" iBook and it will not burn DVD's. Plus, it looks bad.
If you want a core duo or core 2 duo Mac laptop, get a Macbook, it's the only way it will work. (laptops are not easily upgradable like desktop computers)
A good site for taking apart your iBook is ifixit.com
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
KeNuB927

KeNuB927 is on a distinguished road

Not really the answer i was hoping for, but thank you very much.

Its a very good site but I want to see the difference between a few.
Does any one have any others?
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

ifixit.com is all you will need.

you basically said that you want to upgrade your ibook to a macbook. i don't know what answers you were hoping for. bryphotoguy was dead on with all of his answers.

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

I know you want a different answer, but you need to re-read bryphotoguy again. As opposed to just saying "It can't be done" he gave some very good reasons. And he gave some good advice on what can be done. And he is right!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I've taken apart about a dozen Mac laptops (Powerbooks, iBook Dual USB, G3 Clamshells, G4's) over the past year so I speak with experience. I recommend ifixit.com to everyone. I've never run into a single ounce of trouble.
Otherwise, google works. I've found so many different sites that have helped me but none I can remember.
Upgrading a laptop will be expensive. If it were possible to do what you wanted, it'd cost almost as much as it'd be to buy a new Macbook.
You can pick up a refurb Macbook for $800 or $900 from the Apple store online and it comes with a full warranty. You really can't beat it. I've bought 2 refurb. Macs and 2 refurb iPods over the past year. Its the way to go.
Bryan
If you've got the iBook already and you're thinking of selling it to get something else, let me know. I'm always game for buying older iBooks.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeNuB927 View Post
Not really the answer i was hoping for, but thank you very much.

Its a very good site but I want to see the difference between a few.
Does any one have any others?
There is NO SITE on the planet who will be able to assist you in making a g3 ibook a Core 2 Duo Macbook. Impossible.

bryphotoguy told you the EXACT truth.

Can you take say a Toshiba PIII laptop and just cram a Xenon 4 core in the board? The answer is also no. It's not a Mac problem.

Even if what you wanted to do could be done (Which is can not) you would end up spending more on parts than just buying a new Mac Book.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compatible memory | Cleaning Macbook »