Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Smile What's up with this battery life?
    Earlier today my girlfriend wanted to charge her Powerbook over at my place, so I handed her my charger cord and she plugged it in. I used my Powerbook for about an hour on battery. Then she wanted to watch a movie, so I put it to sleep and we went to the rental store and got a movie. I used my Powerbook during most of the movie, which was two hours long, on battery. I come back into my room, and thus far I have been using it another hour and a half...coming up on 2 hours. That's 5 1/2 hours so far! I'm TRYING to get the battery to die, so that I can fully recharge it again, per the manual's instructions, but the darn thing just keeps on going! I fired up two movies in Quicktime and turned on wireless AND bluetooth just to speed up the draining process.

    Anybody else getting absurdly long battery lives out of their new Powerbooks?

    Woot! It says 11 minutes left...I can almost go to bed now.

  2. #2

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Woot!
    15 minutes have gone by, and it's been saying "1 minute left" for 5 minutes! LOL

    I love this little Powerbook.

  3. #3
    Joeytpg
    Guest
    but you can't put it to charge if the battery isn't dead yet?.......i mean.......i thought this was only when you buy it........i've read over here that when you buy a powebook/ibook the fist time i use it i had to let the battery dry before charging it the firt time right??

    but is this ALWAYS? or is your powerbook new too??

    i'm confused

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jul 22, 2003
    Location
    Hamilton College
    Posts
    6,999
    Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    its just good to drain the battery every once and a while before doing a full charge to help calibrate it
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

  5. #5
    PowerbookG417
    Guest
    there is no need to allow the battery to completly wear down for normal charges only about once a month should you perform the PMU reset. Im currently dealing with a bumm battery and i sometimes get the opposite 5-9 hours to charge. but if i let it charge for 20 mins like that..hot plug the battery twice and restart i then get a full battery...but go figure

  6. #6

    hype.it's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2004
    Location
    China
    Posts
    738
    Specs:
    Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
    Li-Ion Batteries have no Memory effects, so you can pretty much charge it if and when you want to. You don't need to wait till it's drained. An average battery have a life of 1-3 years depending on how your PowerBook is used. If your like me, then you'll probably get a new Battery every 18 months, since it's used everyday and charged twice... it's getting serious abuse.

  7. #7

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    To answer somebody's question, yes, I'm doing this because I have a brand new Powerbook. The Powerbook manual specifically states to do this within the first couple of weeks of ownership, to "initialize" the battery.

    And while I would be inclined to agree with hype.it that normally a Lithium Ion battery doesn't need such treatment, Apple was very firm in that it needed to be done for one reason or another, so I did it.

    At any rate, I'm very happy to see that my Powerbook has an absurdly long battery life!

  8. #8
    .emo.
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris22x
    Earlier today my girlfriend wanted to charge her Powerbook over at my place, so I handed her my charger cord and she plugged it in. I used my Powerbook for about an hour on battery. Then she wanted to watch a movie, so I put it to sleep and we went to the rental store and got a movie. I used my Powerbook during most of the movie, which was two hours long, on battery. I come back into my room, and thus far I have been using it another hour and a half...coming up on 2 hours. That's 5 1/2 hours so far! I'm TRYING to get the battery to die, so that I can fully recharge it again, per the manual's instructions, but the darn thing just keeps on going! I fired up two movies in Quicktime and turned on wireless AND bluetooth just to speed up the draining process.

    Anybody else getting absurdly long battery lives out of their new Powerbooks?

    Woot! It says 11 minutes left...I can almost go to bed now.
    well mine usually lasts for 2 hours even when i put it on longest battery life :/

  9. #9
    TylerMoney
    Guest
    You definelty want to do it at least once...it's said to be bad to do it more than that...for lithion ion batteries anywho.

    I get somewhere between 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 hrs of charged dpending on what I'm doing.

  10. #10

    GLJones's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 11, 2004
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    125
    Specs:
    1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
    Don't forget to turn off your Airport and Bluetooth if you are not using them. Both are transceivers and use power to look for networks or bluetooth objects to attach to. Turn them off and you can add an hour to your battery.

  11. #11

    EYPUFF's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2003
    Location
    Fullerton/Pomona
    Posts
    220
    Specs:
    Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
    I always have my airport off, and my bluetooth off. And I still can't over 2 hours. Maybe 1 hour and 45 minutes.. but that's max. Maybe I need to get another battery or something. I wish I could get 5 and half hours.. that would be mad crazy awesome. But I can't, so it's a big burn out.
    PowerBook G4. iLove it.

  12. #12
    MacHat
    Guest
    I just got mine 2 days ago and didn't drain it... is it too late? I'll drain it right now and do a full charge.

  13. #13

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    No worries
    Quote Originally Posted by MacHat
    I just got mine 2 days ago and didn't drain it... is it too late? I'll drain it right now and do a full charge.
    MacHat,

    You're fine, the Powerbook Manual (it's amazing how you people don't read the manual :rolleyes: ) says to just make sure you do it once within the first week or two of ownership.

    So...do it whenever you get time, and it'll be fine.

  14. #14

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by EYPUFF
    I always have my airport off, and my bluetooth off. And I still can't over 2 hours. Maybe 1 hour and 45 minutes.. but that's max. Maybe I need to get another battery or something. I wish I could get 5 and half hours.. that would be mad crazy awesome. But I can't, so it's a big burn out.
    EYPUFF,

    Go into your Energy Saver settings and use the custom setting, don't use the default as it's not very good. For battery settings I use the following, and get AMAZING battery life out of my Powerbook.

    Put computer to sleep after: 10 minutes
    Put display to sleep after: 3 mintes (dim at 1.5 minutes)
    Put hard disk to sleep when possible
    Processor Performance: Reduced
    Wireless: Off
    Bluetooth: Off

    BTW, I also recommend leaving processor performance on "automatic" when plugged in, instead of "Highest" as it will produce much less heat when doing simple stuff like browsing the internet or checking your email.

  15. #15

    EYPUFF's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2003
    Location
    Fullerton/Pomona
    Posts
    220
    Specs:
    Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris22x
    EYPUFF,

    Go into your Energy Saver settings and use the custom setting, don't use the default as it's not very good. For battery settings I use the following, and get AMAZING battery life out of my Powerbook.

    Put computer to sleep after: 10 minutes
    Put display to sleep after: 3 mintes (dim at 1.5 minutes)
    Put hard disk to sleep when possible
    Processor Performance: Reduced
    Wireless: Off
    Bluetooth: Off

    BTW, I also recommend leaving processor performance on "automatic" when plugged in, instead of "Highest" as it will produce much less heat when doing simple stuff like browsing the internet or checking your email.
    Even w/ the above mentioned settings, it says i will only have 1:30 minutes... and it is draining like none other. well i guess that's why i won't be using my computer on the road much.

    EY
    PowerBook G4. iLove it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone 3Gs: battery life issue not related to battery?
    By Drew384 in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-17-2011, 06:58 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 07:43 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 06:21 PM
  4. Reduced battery life after battery calibration
    By SoftLayer in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2009, 07:28 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •