New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Dust, Fans, MBP Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cad2blender

cad2blender is on a distinguished road

Hey I'm was wondering where the heck to the fans on the MBP "suck" the air from? I know that the fans blow air out from the grill on the back, but where does the air gets sucked from? Also coming from a dekstop I would open the case and clean the dust that has accumulated. Now I can't do that, should I even be worried about dust buildup?
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Your Macbook isn't a vacuum cleaner, it doesn't suck in air. The fans are only there to vent the hot air out. Cooler room air will automatically fill the void, and will enter through the same fan vent, other ridges, the inside of the MBP isn't vacuum sealed :-) .

Speaking of vacuum, run a hand vacuum over the fan panels once a year or so...

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
cad2blender

oh I see... laws of Thermodynamics. Yeah I was confused since all my desktops had a fan that sucked and a fan that blew the hot air away, I guess I learned another thing today.
QUOTE Thanks
Tak

Tak is a jewel in the roughTak is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server

I have never disassembled a laptop without dust bunnies.

Use canned air, much as i love Macs they are not magically dust immune.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

where is the hot air expelled and where does the cool clean air enter from?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
voided3

voided3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM

In regards to where the fans are, go to www.ifixit.com and check out their disassembly guides; they are an excellent way to see your Mac for what they really are. On a MBP, there are two fans placed near the outer edges of the rear vents.

By the way, definitely used canned air. I heard that some vacuums give off huge amounts of static electricity which would be a big problem for cleaning out a computer.
QUOTE Thanks
cad2blender

I never really understood why I would like to use canned air. If I shoot it through the vents won't it just push the dust even deeper? I think I should wait one year to open it and clean it so I won't void my warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

personally, i wouldnt worry about the dust enough to make a stink about opening it up.

now if i was upgrading something, or needed to open it, then i would do the dust, but never would i just open it to clean it, waste. Now if you see a "hairball-like" fuzzball sticking out, it may be that time

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
speed4tu

speed4tu is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb

Ya I agree, there is no point in opening it just to clean the dust out of it. I wouldn't think that there is a large amount of dust in there anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which hard drive? | Extended battery for MacBook Pro - $99 »