New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Hardware difference

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I'm going to get a MacBook Pro with 2 GBs of RAM, and i'm trying to figure if i should pay the extra $300 to get an upgrade to the processor and graphics card. The 2.16Ghz with 128MBs of graphics is $2000, and the 2.33GHz with 256MBs for $2300. *This is all estimated and includes the college discount. I'm going to be using the system for designing graphics, editing and processing photos, and creating DVDs, w/ menus and animation. Should i spend the extra $300, or just stay with the base $2000? Like what would the benefits of the upgrade be?
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

28 Views and no response?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

For starters, the extra 170MHz is rather negligible. The performance boost isn't worth the amount of money you have to pay for it.

Now for the video card. The extra RAM is only useful for applications that can actually use it, such as 3D modeling and 3D games. If all you'll be doing is 2D graphics work with very little 3D modeling, then 128MB is more than enough. Then again, if you're doing heavy 3D modeling work, you wouldn't be looking at a laptop

The only reason you might want to go for the upgrade is if you have the spare cash and to stave off your future upgrade a little longer.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

I'll be using it mainly for Adobe CS3, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Soundbooth, and Encore DVD. Like burning DVDs with animation, designing graphics, editing pictures, that sort of thing.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

well if u upgrade to the faster cpu, u get the 2gb ram bundled in. ive been happy with my 2.16 and 128mb x1600. i bought 1gbx2 off newegg for less than 100$

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Looks like all you're doing is 2D modeling. So the extra video RAM is useless to you.

So as it stands, there's really no need for you to spend the extra money. Just go with the $2,000 model and you'll be more than happy with your purchase

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

but why would you tell this person not to get the ram upgrade, isn't the ram amount what helps your computer run more efficiently?? since the memory can be eaten up rather quickly if you have a couple of programs running at the same time ?? I payed for the extra ram, but it would be much cheaper to buy the ram and do it yourself...

--
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

We're not telling him not to get RAM, we're telling him not to get VIDEO RAM, which is an entirely different beast.

I totally encourage the OP to upgrade to 2GB of system RAM. Though I would suggest buying it from a third-party retailer to save more money

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ibookclamman300

ibookclamman300 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM

This is a similar question to one I happened to just answer. Take a look at this:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/m...hey-212823.php

Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black
QUOTE Thanks
ibookclamman300

ibookclamman300 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
We're not telling him not to get RAM, we're telling him not to get VIDEO RAM, which is an entirely different beast.

I totally encourage the OP to upgrade to 2GB of system RAM. Though I would suggest buying it from a third-party retailer to save more money
Yeah, while normal RAM is almost always better when there is more, video ram is usually overblown as far as its importance to performance.

Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

thanks for the clarification
--gracias
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

About how much would i be saving if i bought the base system w/ 1 GB of RAM, then getting an upgrade from a 3rd party site?
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

u can get a refurb (baseline) for 1599

400$ if u go that route, and compare it to the 2499 price of the upper mbp.

thats almost 1k$

oh lord

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook and Vista | what brand of ram should i use? »