New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Just bought refurbished, will I be ok?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glenn29

glenn29 is on a distinguished road

well, with the recent upgrades I thought I could get a really good deal on a refurbished macbook. I found one of the middle level line, 2g processor, superdrive and 80g hd for $999 and decided to go for it. I don't have to pay tax and shipping was free, so it was basically right at a grand.

I know I could have gotten a new one with a slightly faster processor, 40g more hd space and quicker wireless, but that few hundred bucks will now go for apple care i think.

Any thoughts? Anyone else buy a refurbished before?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I bought a refurb. Macbook Core Duo 2GHz back in November and had no problems with it before I sold it in Feb. I sold it for a refurb Core Duo iMac and its been running smooth since Feb. You will be fine. btw, You have a whole year to buy the Apple Care.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
glenn29

glenn29 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reassuance and the info about buying applecare, I knew I didn't have to buy it now, didn't know i had that long though.

thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn29 View Post
Thanks for the reassuance and the info about buying applecare, I knew I didn't have to buy it now, didn't know i had that long though.

thanks again.
Yea, you just have to buy it before the normal warranty expires.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

buttuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD

Everything, including 3 Ipods and my Macbook, has been bought via refurb and I haven't had any problems so far.
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

Over the years I also bought Refurb equipment, never a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Another happy refurb MacBook owner here. You've made a good financial decission going for the refurb.

One of the reasons I went for the Refurb was because I just couldn't wait any longer for a MacBook (love 'em) and thought if I went for the refurb option I could save enough cash to buy Leopard when it eventually comes out

As it happens, I didn't save the cash - I could have - but spent it soon after on something else instead - but my intentions were good!
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

I bought mine refurb and have had no problems, when I opened it up I could have sworn it was brand new. I will definatly buy refurb again from apple. I actually bought the same model you did glenn29, just before it got reduced

we also have the same name, i'm a glenn too =)
QUOTE Thanks
k77blink

k77blink is on a distinguished road

i bought a refurb macbook in jan, very happy. it looked to me as if it had never been touched, not a scratch to be found. i bought my sister a refurb nano 1st gen and would buy more refurbs in the future. they have the same warranty as new! i think i got a little discount on applecare with my student dicsount as well. or if you work at a school you can get that too. good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
FlatlanderIA

FlatlanderIA is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 1GB

I bought a refurb black macbook 3 months ago and have been happy with it. I wanted to save money and I like that fact they they really look it over. Probably more so than the new ones that leave! When it came, the moulding around the screen (right where it says 'macbook' was popped out. This was a bit nerve racking. I pushed on it a bit and it finally popped back into place. I have no idea how that happened. Anyway, after that scare it's been working great. I did have a screen 'bruise', a dark area, that was most likely my fault. Apple happily replaced my screen under warranty. They were great. I also had a problem with kernel panics. But after problem shooting I found that was due to my Logitec mouse and have been kernel panic free since I got rid of it 2 months ago. It's a great machine. ENJOY!!
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

it will be like new like described on apples refurb site.....i dont know why everybody thinks something is going to be wrong with it
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Macbook Upgrade DVD Drive | Replacing Hard drive problem. HELP !!!! »