New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ibook questions (3rd party wirless, keyboards etc)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

1luke2

Hey guys, I'm going to switch back from the dark side (I was a long time mac user before this foray ) and I'm thinking of picking up an 12" G4 ibook off ebay. However, a couple of ibook's I have my eye on don't come with the airport extreme card, and I was wondering if there were any 3rd party alternatives to Apple's card? It doesn't look like it, but $200 AUD is pretty steep for a wifi card

Also, does anyone know if its possible to use USB PC keyboards with an ibook (even thru a KVM switch or something) ? I've got one of those fandangled ergonomic split keyboards and would like to keep using it while at the desk. Any tips would be great

Cheers!
Luke
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luke2
Hey guys, I'm going to switch back from the dark side (I was a long time mac user before this foray ) and I'm thinking of picking up an 12" G4 ibook off ebay. However, a couple of ibook's I have my eye on don't come with the airport extreme card, and I was wondering if there were any 3rd party alternatives to Apple's card? It doesn't look like it, but $200 AUD is pretty steep for a wifi card

Also, does anyone know if its possible to use USB PC keyboards with an ibook (even thru a KVM switch or something) ? I've got one of those fandangled ergonomic split keyboards and would like to keep using it while at the desk. Any tips would be great

Cheers!
Luke
I've seen Airport Extreme cards going for $60-$70 US, which works out to a bit below $100 AUD (if my calculator is right). That's not bad, and it will be useful to be able to us the Airport software. As for the keyboard, you shouldn't have any trouble using a USB keyboard with the iBook.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
1luke2

Thanks for the tips Padawan, good idea about airport extreme cards on ebay, I've now got a few on my watch list. Now if I can just snag an ibook!
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luke2
Thanks for the tips Padawan, good idea about airport extreme cards on ebay, I've now got a few on my watch list. Now if I can just snag an ibook!
I think I woudl be more tempted to buy something new or evan a refurbished from Apple than off ebay. I have seen posts before on the forums with people having problems and dumping them on ebay. Before I get flamed, I know that a lot of sellers are honest about the computer but there are some that are not telling the whole story....

I just bought a PowerBook and I could have got good deals on ebay but decided that I would rather buy new and know exactly what I am getting....

For things like cards ebay is likely fine but just watch the price.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzasitko
I think I woudl be more tempted to buy something new or evan a refurbished from Apple than off ebay.
Apple's "Specials" section of the website does have some decent prices on new and refurbished iBooks. Might be worth a look.

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
IuseMacintosh

Im really new to Mac...this summer away from home I borrowed my gf's ibook...my roommates are running a wireless router and they both use PC...will this airport card receive signals from my roommates router? are there alternative way to get internet connection from the router like thru some kind of cables? my ibook is running OS 9.11....thanks and sorry if my dumbass irritates you guys
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IuseMacintosh
Im really new to Mac...this summer away from home I borrowed my gf's ibook...my roommates are running a wireless router and they both use PC...will this airport card receive signals from my roommates router? are there alternative way to get internet connection from the router like thru some kind of cables? my ibook is running OS 9.11....thanks and sorry if my dumbass irritates you guys
LOL - I'm sure you don't irritate anyone. And to answer your question, you shouldn't have any problem connecting to the wireless router with your Airport card.

QUOTE Thanks
IuseMacintosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
LOL - I'm sure you don't irritate anyone. And to answer your question, you shouldn't have any problem connecting to the wireless router with your Airport card.
thanks for the help....its good to see an actual helpful reply rather than being called a moron 365 different ways over at netstumbler.org....thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IuseMacintosh
thanks for the help....its good to see an actual helpful reply rather than being called a moron 365 different ways over at netstumbler.org....thanks again
I think you'll find that this is a very friendly and helpful site - no name calling. For what it's worth, our router is a Linksys wireless, and my iBook has no trouble at all connecting to it via my Airport card.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless woes | Sleep / PMU problems ? »