New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Why get the black macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

glenn29

glenn29 is on a distinguished road

I'll be buying my macbook within the next week. I'm very excited to get it and glad I'll get the added boost of the latest upgrades.

My question is this, why would you buy the black macbook at this point? I mean unless you really want a black one.

As far as I can tell, the middle level macbook and the black macbook have the same exact processor, RAM, cd/dvd drive, display, graphics card etc. The only difference seems to be the 120 g hard drive in the white and the 160g hard drive in the black. You can upgrade the white HD to 160 g for only 75 dollars, while the black costs 200 dollars more.

Am I missing something else different? It seems since the upgrade these two are almost exactly the same except HD space and color, and I don't want to pay $200 extra for 40 gig when I can get it for only $75.

Ive been reading the forum for weeks, you guys and gals are a world of knowledge and all really seem to love your macbooks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I would buy the Black one if I wanted Black over White. Otherwise now I see no reason except color. My opinion anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn29 View Post
Am I missing something else different? It seems since the upgrade these two are almost exactly the same except HD space and color, and I don't want to pay $200 extra for 40 gig when I can get it for only $75.

Ive been reading the forum for weeks, you guys and gals are a world of knowledge and all really seem to love your macbooks.
Yes, yes we do.

And yeah, that's pretty much it. I have a white Macbook but I got my wife a black one, mostly because we have two black cats, her iPod is black, and it's different from mine. She really, really, really likes the fact that it's black. She doesn't even care that she has a bigger hard drive by 40gig. So in my case it was a matter of knowing my wife, and that an asthetic would make quite a difference in her overall experience. Was it worth $150? Well, let's take the possibliity of multiple "I wish it wasn't white" factor into account and divide by the number of 'favors' one would get by the fact that her computer is black and she likes that a lot...and...

Okay, so TMI.

Let's just say that Apple thinks they can get away with charging that much more for the black color, note that apparently they can, and there you have your answer. These computers aren't just computers, they are computers that are nice to look at in addition to being productivity machines with no equal. So yeah, we'll pay the extra for a color change. Sure, you get a bigger disk drive, otherwise it's just a color.

Although, I seem to recall that auto manufacturers will often charge a premium for different 'paint packages' that don't enhance the actual performance or comfort factor of the vehicle. Racing stripes come to mind. So it's not like there isn't a precedent.
QUOTE Thanks
glenn29

Oh yes, I wasn't trying to downplay the color for those who want that added asthetic, I was just trying to figure out if I was missing something else. I'm already going a bit over budget to get the middle of the road macbook, but I really like them from what Ive seen....so another $200 for the black is just out of my range for now.

thanks for the notes though, glad to be part of the forum.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I have the Black MacBook, and its awesome.

I bought it only for the fact that I love Black. But also that decision was helped by configuring the White one to the same specs (look under my avatar) and the difference was $50 only. So I happily paid for it and I couldn't be more satisfied with my choice.

I think it all comes down to ur sense of style and what u like.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
glenn29

I agree with you mina, but I think now that they have changed the specs, if you upgrade the hd for $75 you are getting the same machine for $125 cheaper, still not a big difference if you really want the black one.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough

Thats absolutely true, in my case I would have paid the extra $125 or even the $200 for the Black.

I know that some of the Hardcore Mac Users would say that Black is a common color for Wintel Laptops.

But let me tell u this much, I've seen Black Dells, HPs, u name it. Nothing comes close to being as kick But looking as the Black MacBook, its in a league of its own thats all I can say.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
Thats absolutely true, in my case I would have paid the extra $125 or even the $200 for the Black.

I know that some of the Hardcore Mac Users would say that Black is a common color for Wintel Laptops.

But let me tell u this much, I've seen Black Dells, HPs, u name it. Nothing comes close to being as kick But looking as the Black MacBook, its in a league of its own thats all I can say.
Eh, Thinkpads were pretty svelt looking back in the day. I've heard their quality has gone down a bit though since some corporate changes at IBM.

I only am occasionally jealous of my wife's Blackbook. I like my white just fine, but the black frame of the screen does seem to make it appear a little larger than it is. I really kind of want her 120gig drive more than the color though (we have the second gen, not the latest updated ones) but I have this 250gig external firewire drive which kind of mitigates that issue.

Hmm, getting a little smudge on the left wristpad. Better clean that up. And those black cats I mentioned? We live in a cloud of their fur so I'm always doing the 'can of air' thing with my Macbook and all the white peripherals (Mighty Mouse, Apple keyboard, iPod, charger, headphones...)
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Yeah its true, that the Black frame for the screen makes look larger. Also u gotta admit if u are gonna use it for business nothing SCREAMS Professional Innovation than the Black Frame with that Awesomely Illuminated Apple on the Back, u'll definitely turn some heads around
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

It's purely down to taste. If your eyesight isn't great then you'll see the keys on the white model easier.

The black model is easier on the eye.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I personally bought the black one because I find it better looking than the white one. Now my sister, on the other hand, prefers the white.

gilesjuk is right, it all comes down to personal taste. Some people can justify the added expense for the black.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
glenn29

Thanks everyone....personally I'd probably perfer the black one myself, I just can't buck up the extra money for a color right now....maybe my second macbook will be black
QUOTE Thanks
mac smalls

mac smalls is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16ghz c2d BlacBook 160gbHD 1gbRAM

yea i got the black even though the guy in the apple store was trying to push me towards the less expensive white....i just feel the black fits me more
QUOTE Thanks
SLC Flyfishing

SLC Flyfishing is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook (black) 2.0 ghz CTD/2gb RAM. iPod Nano Gen 1 (4 GB)

Black equipment conveys power.

SLC
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

I got the black one because its processor is faster than the white one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« aircard or other options? | Who else will be getting a new MB,MBP or MPA? »