New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Inserting a mini disc...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

duelingdragons

duelingdragons is on a distinguished road

I've heard horror stories about it.

What should I do? Do I have ANY options?

I have a mini disc with recorded material from my Handycam, and I want to edit it.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Don't use that disc in your drive

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

External disc drive or use a different computer to copy the data to a regular DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

gilesjuk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Once again, another example of Apple putting looks before function. I much prefer a slide out drive, if anything goes wrong you can get the disc out easier.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Your camera should have come with a cable. I know my sony did.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesjuk View Post
Once again, another example of Apple putting looks before function. I much prefer a slide out drive, if anything goes wrong you can get the disc out easier.
Slot-loading drives are much more functional in tight spaces than standard drive bays.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
Slot-loading drives are much more functional in tight spaces than standard drive bays.
Agreed. Also, in the case of a notebook or other portable computer, the less parts that protrude and stick out from the machine, the better. That means fewer parts that have the potential to break off and be lost.
A drive tray on a notebook is actually an ergonomically bad design move.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
How so? you can place a mini CD/DVD onto the spindle and use it with a normal laptop drive. Can't do that with a slot drive.

Also the cloth slot covering starts to wear and the drive then starts sucking in dust.
QUOTE Thanks
gilesjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Agreed. Also, in the case of a notebook or other portable computer, the less parts that protrude and stick out from the machine, the better. That means fewer parts that have the potential to break off and be lost.
A drive tray on a notebook is actually an ergonomically bad design move.
He said functional, not ergonimical. Yes it's nicer to use a slot and easier. But as soon as you get a disc stuck you'll soon wish you had a tray to open.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

The far and away majority of discs used are the standard 12cm discs. You can insert and remove the discs in tighter spaces and don't have to deal with having space for a drive tray to open to get your disc in.

I have a 5 year old powerbook and its cloth covering the slot looks exactly like it did when I got it so I dont know where you are coming up with the "sucking in dust"

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

If you don't put in the wrong size discs there is really no reason for a disc to get stuck. Worst I have had is when OS X didn't recognize a disc and I just had to reboot holding down the mouse click for it to eject

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The only part I've ever heard of "breaking" on a laptop (in the mechanical cracking, tearing off or snapping sense of the word - not harddrive failure and the likes) is the optical disc try.

On my father's old vaio somebody knocked against it with a bag whilst he was loading a disc on an aeroplane, my friend's drive stopped closing properly (the catch was worn) and you're far more likely to get dust in the drive or on the lens with a tray that slides around in the open all the time than when it remains tucked inside the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I've nearly busted the CD tray off my employer-supplied Dell on numerous occasions. I don't think I've ever even touched a mini-DVD in my life, but then I don't have one of those fancy vidcams that uses them. Novelty 'business card' CD's, sure (standard conference gimmick) but pretty much it's all the standard sizes. I'm very happy with form factor of the slot-loading type on my Macbook.

My Dell I can hand to a corporate ID lackey and say 'fix this' if I bust the tray off. The fewer things I can bust off of my Macbook the better.

To be fair, my Mac Mini had a CD or two that would refuse to eject and I was curious if I'd ever get it out.

The main problem with my Macbook Superdrive is that it seems to be one of those that 'grooves up' a CD/DVD if you tilt it around while the disc is spinning. I'll probably invoke AppleCare on that one once I get around to it.
QUOTE Thanks
Arekisu

Arekisu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duelingdragons View Post
I've heard horror stories about it.

What should I do? Do I have ANY options?

I have a mini disc with recorded material from my Handycam, and I want to edit it.
Sorry to nit pick but. don't you mean mini CD, the mini disc was a format made by sony which was meant to replace audio tape.

Anyway back on topic, either connect the Handycam to the lappy with a cable or use an external drive so there's no chance of it getting stuck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro dual monitors.. | hello fellow mac's need some burn space »