New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MBP CD - "not so good" experience


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
deep

 
Member Since: May 19, 2007
Posts: 3
deep is on a distinguished road

deep is offline
I'm sorry my first post here is a negative one, since I'm a huge Apple fan, but I had to share this.

I bought my MacBook Pro (2.0 Core Duo, 100 Gb, 2 Gb RAM, X1600 256 MB) in July last year and so far my experience has been:

- when closed, screen lid doesn't fit tight on both sides - on one side fits nice, but on the other has about 3-4 mm gap

- eject button isn’t aligned to other buttons (it’s left side is slightly off upwards)

- left speaker tends to produce a high pitch hissing sound - heared this was normal with this CD series - an interference issue or whatever - not so great "normality" for $3125 (the price in my country)

- ok now I have a laptop which is not ment to be held in the lap because it heats up quite a bit

- in the first 4 months programs crashed between 50 and 100 times - not exaggerating : Motion - (most of the times), Final Cut, Photoshop, Illustrator, DVD Studio Pro - many times the only choice was turning the computer off holding the on/off button

- had all sorts of issues and abnormalities with Motion and Final cut renderings - (had to format disc -so that's ok for now)

- battery fiasco (got swollen and died) - okay blame goes on Sony for this one (got fixed)

- after 5-6 months I noticed marks on the aluminium left from the screen edge when closed (located between touchpad and the edge) - deteriorating at this rate it's going to look really bad in 6 months

- and the last incident got me totally mad:

After usual notebook cleaning (special "safe" fluid and micro fibre cloth) some kind of foil scratched off the thin concaved area stretching along the spacebar. Now I have two holes showing pure aluminium under the silver foil. It looks awful now ! What is this ?! If I bought a cheap plastic notebook I wouldn't have this problem but on a MacBook Pro I now have a scene like this ? I knew aluminium was sensitive to acids, but foil that chips off to cleaning fluid ? Unacceptable.

That area wasn't prior damaged or anything - it was cleaned many times and now this thing happens. I even tried to scratch that surface completely so it would be a clean even surface but it won't come off except on those two places - under the ctrl and option button.

Imagine a client's impression
Client impression a) - this person is either very greasy or sloppy -affects me
Client impression b) - this notebook is no good and I’m going to stick to PC -affects Apple

After this I'm totally mad. I need MBP for my business, which is video production- for editing footage on the road and showing the previews to the clients. Windows OS is lousy IMHO and there's no alternative for Final Cut Studio, especially FCS2. I have a great opinion about Apple but this is.....just phenomenal.

- Now try to be creative, thinking on what's next....
QUOTE Thanks
deep

 
Member Since: May 19, 2007
Posts: 3
deep is on a distinguished road

deep is offline
Oh yeah - I forgot :

- when burning data onto DVD's I got "disc error' message about 60-70 times with 5-6 different DVD packs and three different disc manufacturers
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

 
Village Idiot's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 04, 2007
Location: Durtburg, WV
Posts: 2,641
Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Village Idiot is offline
did you contact apple?

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,459
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Imagine a meeting with client seeing these two holes !!!
Client impression a) - this person is either very greasy or sloppy
Client impression b) - this notebook is crap and Iím going to stick to PC
A client isn't going to care what your notebook looks like, especially two miniscule "holes" in the finish.
If you show up at the meeting greasy and sloppy, then they will get that impression of you. If your notebook has two tiny flecks, they will not likely notice it at all. Besides, if you are clean and presentable and the material being shown is top-notch, then they could care less what your machine looks like (who really cares if they they are going to "stick to PC"? YOU are the one doing the work, not them, so what tools you use are irrelevant so long as the finished product meets their standards). What they will care about and what they will be focusing on is the work that you show to them.

As far as your issues with applications, the ones you have listed were not Universal at the time you purchased your notebook. You were using a brand new machine, with older software which wasn't optimized for the hardware you were using.

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
deep

 
Member Since: May 19, 2007
Posts: 3
deep is on a distinguished road

deep is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
A client isn't going to care what your notebook looks like, especially two miniscule "holes" in the finish.
If you show up at the meeting greasy and sloppy, then they will get that impression of you. If your notebook has two tiny flecks, they will not likely notice it at all. Besides, if you are clean and presentable and the material being shown is top-notch, then they could care less what your machine looks like (who really cares if they they are going to "stick to PC"? YOU are the one doing the work, not them, so what tools you use are irrelevant so long as the finished product meets their standards). What they will care about and what they will be focusing on is the work that you show to them.

As far as your issues with applications, the ones you have listed were not Universal at the time you purchased your notebook. You were using a brand new machine, with older software which wasn't optimized for the hardware you were using.

I apologize if my post was inappropriate in any way - I got too emotional after experiencing all this.

Mentioning client perception I was only trying to make a point. You have to admit this leaves a negative impression, whatever it is. When you see someone's equipment in lousy state you make an impression of that someone not caring for it. Offcourse the work itself and my appearance are the most important, that goes without saying. The holes are 2/3 of an inch and that to me isn't miniscule. The main problem is that I don't want to see this happening. Not for this price.

I'm planning to get 8 core Mac Pro once the graphics get updated. This situation makes me kind of nervous with my next purchase.

Software problems are not the main issue here. Software gets improved. I just mentioned them in a context of my negative experience.
I still love Apple and FCS. For me there's no alternative.
But, when your job is paying attention to details you get quite angry seing faults like this on your creativity tool.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

 
kgeier82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 01, 2006
Posts: 1,495
kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

kgeier82 is offline
i have most of the hardware related problems that you do (screen doesnt close on both sides, eject button, and even a little paint coming off an arrow key)

to tell you the truth, it bothered me at first, but not as much as i think it does you. Ive also had the battery troubles, like you, again, nothing you can really do about it.

All in all, what im trying to say is, every machine has its flaws, try getting less (flaws) from a dell or HP, its not going to happen ya know

the mbp is a wonderful machine, and id buy it again, no questions asked

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

 
cwa107's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: Middletown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 26,494
cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

cwa107 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
- when closed, screen lid doesn't fit tight on both sides - on one side fits nice, but on the other has about 3-4 mm gap
3-4mm is a significant gap. Be aware that 1-2mm is normal for these machines.

Quote:
- eject button isnít aligned to other buttons (itís left side is slightly off upwards)
This should be an easy fix, check with Apple.

Quote:
- left speaker tends to produce a high pitch hissing sound - heared this was normal with this CD series - an interference issue or whatever - not so great "normality" for $3125 (the price in my country)
I haven't had this problem at all with my CD.

Quote:
- ok now I have a laptop which is not ment to be held in the lap because it heats up quite a bit
You won't see the word "laptop" mentioned in the advertising for ANY modern notebook. Most manufacturers have moved away from this term because modern notebooks emit quite a bit of heat. It is the trade-off you'll need to accept for using a fast notebook.

Quote:
- in the first 4 months programs crashed between 50 and 100 times - not exaggerating : Motion - (most of the times), Final Cut, Photoshop, Illustrator, DVD Studio Pro - many times the only choice was turning the computer off holding the on/off button
Have you called Apple for any of these things? What kinds of troubleshooting have you attempted? If you routinely cold reset the notebook when something appears to "crash", you could be a damaging the filesystem.

Quote:
- had all sorts of issues and abnormalities with Motion and Final cut renderings - (had to format disc -so that's ok for now)
Sounds like you've reinstalled the operating system. Am I right on that?

Quote:
- battery fiasco (got swollen and died) - okay blame goes on Sony for this one (got fixed)
Apple, to their credit, has extended the warranty on all MacBook batteries to 2 years. That's pretty much unheard of in the industry - even for those manufacturers that have suffered with these defective batteries.

Quote:
- after 5-6 months I noticed marks on the aluminium left from the screen edge when closed (located between touchpad and the edge) - deteriorating at this rate it's going to look really bad in 6 months
Again, this sounds like defective case construction, something you should check with Apple on.

Quote:
- and the last incident got me totally mad:

After usual notebook cleaning (special "safe" fluid and micro fibre cloth) some kind of foil scratched off the thin concaved area stretching along the spacebar. Now I have two holes showing pure aluminium under the silver foil. It looks awful now ! What is this ?! If I bought a cheap plastic notebook I wouldn't have this problem but on a MacBook Pro I now have a scene like this ? I knew aluminium was sensitive to acids, but foil that chips off to cleaning fluid ? Unacceptable.

That area wasn't prior damaged or anything - it was cleaned many times and now this thing happens. I even tried to scratch that surface completely so it would be a clean even surface but it won't come off except on those two places - under the ctrl and option button.

Imagine a client's impression
Client impression a) - this person is either very greasy or sloppy -affects me
Client impression b) - this notebook is no good and Iím going to stick to PC -affects Apple

After this I'm totally mad. I need MBP for my business, which is video production- for editing footage on the road and showing the previews to the clients. Windows OS is lousy IMHO and there's no alternative for Final Cut Studio, especially FCS2. I have a great opinion about Apple but this is.....just phenomenal.

- Now try to be creative, thinking on what's next....
You'll read about this sort of thing with every brand, make and model of laptop out there, particularly with manufacturers doing their best to make the case materials lightweight. I do agree with the other posters that you have a problem that needs to be addressed with Apple.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« RAM upgrade advice for my new macbook | Very annoyed with Apple..... »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
To MBP or not MBP? babadi Apple Notebooks 8 07-09-2007 03:53 PM
Benchmarks of MBP c2d 2.16GHz? s_ranzau Apple Notebooks 10 12-20-2006 03:32 AM
How well does Shake run on a MBP? Sticz OS X - Apps and Games 1 07-09-2006 04:29 PM
MBP vs MB vbr2 Apple Rumors and Reports 7 06-03-2006 06:09 PM
Alright! I'm gettin the MBP! MarteDVX Apple Notebooks 8 05-09-2006 05:05 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?