New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - So What 2GB RAM has everyone around here been getting?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rogueace

rogueace is on a distinguished road

So, I've read around, and have seen what people are buying, but what seems to be the best 2GB (2*1GB) RAM for the Macbook for the best price? My budget calls for something under 90 dollars (Is that enough?).
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

I have ordered Corsair from Newegg and still waiting for it. Here is the link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145157

You can click "Laptop Memory" link to bring you to other choices. Other bought G.Skill or Crucial. I suppose they are all ok. Just check the one within your budget.
QUOTE Thanks
RawfodoG

RawfodoG is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram

I wasted my money on apple ram.... BIG mistake.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

This is the one I have gotten for myself and recommend to everyone else:

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)

When you add in shipping, it comes out to $84.98, just under your budget of $90

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
This is the one I have gotten for myself and recommend to everyone else:

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)

When you add in shipping, it comes out to $84.98, just under your budget of $90
same thing here.... amazing price difference though. i bought my sticks for 99$ each 7months ago

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

buttuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD

I got 2GB (1GBx2) of the Kingstons about 3 weeks ago for $99 with a $10 rebate. Needless to say I never managed to send the rebate in. At least shipping was free.
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I got mine from Apple. I've heard it's best to waste money when you're young so that you get the pleasure of working many years past your expected retirement.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

don't get ocz.... on xbench the results arent much better than the stock 512 ram rom apple....
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

i just ordered my 2 gigs from crucial. it was around $80
QUOTE Thanks
cxjr25

cxjr25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - Intel Duo 2

I just bought this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146123

My question is, will i know have 1 GB of RAM or 1.5 GB of RAM? I have a second generation MB, 1.83 ghz intel core 2 duo with 512MB RAM. Will the new RAM replace the 512 I already have, or will it be in addition?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

The Macbooks come with two RAM slots. Most likely you have two sticks of 256MB, so you'll have to take one out to put in your new 1GB stick. So you'll have 1.25GB of RAM in total if you decide to leave in one stick.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cxjr25

cxjr25 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook - Intel Duo 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
The Macbooks come with two RAM slots. Most likely you have two sticks of 256MB, so you'll have to take one out to put in your new 1GB stick. So you'll have 1.25GB of RAM in total if you decide to leave in one stick.
Appled wesbite says i shouldnt run with uneven ram...Any thoughts? Would it be better if i just ran on the 1 gb ram vs the 1 gb and the 256 mb?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

It has to do with the dual channel issue. To tell you the truth, there's really no benefit to running memory in dual channel mode compared to single channel. All the benefits people spout are from synthetic benchmarks, which don't translate into real world benefits.

You could always give both scenarios a try. Run it with 1.25GB and if you seem to be having some stability issues, yank one stick out and run it as 1GB. Though I should warn you, getting a "feel" for stability isn't an objective test. What's most likely going to happen is that you'll "feel" as though one way is more stable when in reality both are working exactly the same. In my personal opinion, stick with 1.25GB until you decide to upgrade to 2GB.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

diesel828 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.

Kash recommended the G Skill RAM, so I ordered it from Newegg. I would highly recommend it. Shipping was quick and painless and the installation was relatively simple. I rarely ever shut my computer down, but for the two or three times I did shut it down, I noticed it started up much quicker with 2GB of RAM. Programs don't bog down so much anymore and my processor runs, on average, 2 to 3 degrees cooler than usual.

Of course, the gain was instantly noticeable going from 512mb to 2GB, and I'm sure gains would be noticed even with upgrading to 1,024mb.

Edit: At the price I paid ($90 with fast shipping), I'd say the 2GB purchase would be prudent.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
www.myspace.com/callofdoody
QUOTE Thanks
mi6

mi6 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram

just picked up patriot 2gb dual channel for $86.47 at frys....
good deal for me....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gaming Temperatures, too hot? | MBP defects for new June 5, 2007+ models? »