New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Hard Drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

walkingclock

walkingclock is on a distinguished road

The hard drive in my Powerbook finally crashed and I'm looking to replace it. It's an Aluminum 15-inch, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a 7200rpm. My main question is the difference between ATA vs. Ultra ATA vs. SATA. I've read positive things about the Seagate Momentus SATA, but will this work in a Powerbook? This blurb says yes:
http://www.macgurus.com/productpages...0Gmomentus.php
but I've also read otherwise. Any thoughts or advice on this subject, or on hard drives in general, would be helpful.
QUOTE Thanks
greencode

greencode is on a distinguished road

I have a 12" powerbook and I wanted to more capacity so went for a Western Digital Scorpio 120gb drive. It only spins at 5400rpm but I've never had a problem with it - the fan runs quite a lot but it did that before the new drive as well - it is 4 years old!

WD Scorpio

I also installed it myself through instructions from ifixit
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

The connectors are different on ata/sata drives. I think the faster drives are usuallu found in desktops where ther are not suseptable to knocks etc. slower drives (4800 and 5400) usually in laptops because they can take punishment a little better.
So you will need to make sure the drive you buy has the same connectors besides the obvious - being a 2.5" laptop and not larger 3.5" drive

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
walkingclock

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing a SATA drive won't work in an aluminum powerbook. Can anyone clarify if this in generally the rule? So should I go with Ultra ATA over ATA? Where does PATA figure in?
QUOTE Thanks
greencode

You can get 7200 internal drives but the capacity is not as large as the 5400 drives. Take a look at this link on Amazon. The reviewers have actually installed the Seagate Momentus into their powerbooks.
QUOTE Thanks
walkingclock

I think I have it narrowed down to one of these two:

http://www.nextag.com/st910021a_-_rk/search-html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148130

Can anyone vouch that the 7200 is that much faster than the 5400 to make it worth the extra price and/or lower storage capacity? I can say I plan to do quite a bit of video editing. Is the 7200 too sensitive for a laptop?
QUOTE Thanks
greencode

To be honest if you're gonna be doing a fair bit of video editing you'll need an external hard drive anyway as you'll find it soons starts to fill up your hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingclock View Post
I think I have it narrowed down to one of these two:

http://www.nextag.com/st910021a_-_rk/search-html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148130

Can anyone vouch that the 7200 is that much faster than the 5400 to make it worth the extra price and/or lower storage capacity? I can say I plan to do quite a bit of video editing. Is the 7200 too sensitive for a laptop?
The 7200rpm notebooks drives are engineered to work in notebooks, so they should be fine. Whether there's a tangible difference in performance is another story.

My only experience relates to an older Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook (P4/2.4GHz, 1GB RAM) that came with a 5400rpm drive originally. When the first 7200rpm drive came out (Hitachi Travelstar 7K60), all of the websites I frequented commented about how much faster it was than a 5400rpm drive in the 8200, so I paid the then steep price of $200 for the drive. Needless to say, I was underwhelmed. I couldn't detect a performance difference.

Now, that was a few years ago (2003?) and 7200 rpm drives were bleeding edge at the time, so I don't know if they've been further refined over time. But in my opinion, unless you're really annoyed at the speed of your machine with the current 5400rpm drive, then save a few bucks and go with a 5400rpm drive.

Also, I wouldn't worry about reliability - especially if you buy a Seagate drive as they have 5-year warranties (the Hitachi drive in my old Inspiron 8200 is still going strong - sold it to a friend a few years ago).

To answer your other question - EIDE, ATA-100 and Ultra ATA are all terms that describe the older PATA (Parallel ATA) interface.

ATA-150, ATA-300 describes the performance of the newer SATA (serial ATA) interface.

I don't know the specifics of your machine, but if it's more than 3-4 few years old, it probably doesn't have SATA.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
walkingclock

I think I'm definitely going with a 5400, with 120GB. It seems even the newest Macbook Pros have a 5400 drive, except for the 17", and only if you request a 7200. I'm also planning to add 1gb of Ram. Sounds good, no?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingclock View Post
I think I'm definitely going with a 5400, with 120GB. It seems even the newest Macbook Pros have a 5400 drive, except for the 17", and only if you request a 7200. I'm also planning to add 1gb of Ram. Sounds good, no?
That's exactly what I just bought: http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...0Hard%20Drives

MacMall was a little more expensive than NewEgg, who I'd originally ordered it from (NewEgg was backordered), but expect to pay around $85 + shipping.

1GB of RAM will help tremendously. You'll see a much bigger performance increase by going to 1GB than upgrading your HDD.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Just dies wont sleep | When are the new generation of Mac's coming out »