Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz, 60GB HD, 512MB RAM
    Do I need more RAM?
    Right now I have Safari under 2 tabs running, iChat and Yahoo messenger running. Also Finder and Dashboard, but those are always running.

I currently have about 7 MB free and 110 inactive. I was told free and inactive could be free memory pretty much. I have 512 MB. At the most, I would probably have 5-7 programs running. Should I get more RAM or should I stick with 512 MB?
    Macbook 1.83Ghz White
    iPod Nano 2GB White
    Nikon D50

well, with what you're doing, it's a toss up. I would only think about it if you were experiencing any slow downs when accessing a couple of those programs at once. you're not doing anything really memory intensive. though safari will use more and more as it's open, so an occasional restart of safari is a nice remedy for that.

at this point, if you're satisfied, i'd say no. but 1 Gb would certainly make your mb quite a bit snappier than 512Mb.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
    Personally, I wouldn't even think about running with less than 1gig. If you're not frustrated with performance, then it's probably not worth the bother, but adding another stick of 512mb is cheap and easy to do yourself, so there's not much reason not to. I'd bet you'd notice a bump in performance...

Specs:
    MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
    Go for 2GB RAM. When you have multi applications open at the same time, it eats up RAM space.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    at this point, if you're satisfied, i'd say no.
    Quote Originally Posted by djames42 View Post
    If you're not frustrated with performance, then it's probably not worth the bother.
    I am going to third this opinion. More RAM won't hurt your machine, but if you are fine with what you have then there isn't much point in adding more.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
    As soon as I upgraded a Mac Mini from 512MB to 1GB it flew. If you have integrated graphics you need 1GB, the integrated graphics eat up some of the 512MB.

Specs:
    MacBook - Intel Duo 2
    Quote Originally Posted by djames42 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't even think about running with less than 1gig. If you're not frustrated with performance, then it's probably not worth the bother, but adding another stick of 512mb is cheap and easy to do yourself, so there's not much reason not to. I'd bet you'd notice a bump in performance...
    On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest, what would you rate installing more RAM on a MB?

I'm pretty much a noob

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
    Quote Originally Posted by cxjr25 View Post
    On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the hardest, what would you rate installing more RAM on a MB?

I'm pretty much a noob
    If you can turn a screw driver and open a beer when you are done I would say a 1 if 1= easy and 10= hard.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
    RAM is getting cheaper and cheaper all of the time for these laptops; I would highly recommend just maxing it out at 2GB. I upgraded my MBP from 1 to 2GB and it helped a lot for games and multi-tasking. You can get good deals on newegg.com for RAM like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146683

To put it in perspective, one Mushkin 1GB stick was $115 when I bought it last december, and now a matched pair is $80 so I definitely would do it if you can afford to. I'm not saying that 2GB is essential, but for the price why not? Otherwise, 1GB sounds like it would suit your tasks just fine, and if you carefully monitor your usage, 512mb just might be fine for you. Sometimes if I have a lot of inactive memory I free it up by running a permissions verify in Disk Utility, and slimming down startup items helps too; I only have SMC Fan Control open on start up. Once again though, when it comes to RAM, the more the merrier. It also is a good exercise in future readiness for the OS releases yet to come as the requirements are only going to grow. Anyway, good luck and make the choice that's right for you!

get 2gb it's more than twice faster than with 512mb
    Apple MacBook | Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz | 2 GB DDR2 | Combo Drive | 250 GB HDD | Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse

Specs:
    MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
    For what it's worth, I've got 2g in my MBP, but then I run Parallels quite frequently (for work stuff). If I wasn't needing to run Windows applications side-by-side, I could probably get away with 1g most of the time.

As I said, if you're not frustrated with performance, don't bother. However, if you do upgrade your machine to at least 1g, you'll probably ask yourself why you didn't do it earlier. You'll definitely see a speed bump from the extra memory.

Remember too, Apple doesn't even sell these machines with less than 1g anymore (the Mini being the exception).

Thread Information