New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Modifying Apple Logo Color

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BethanyLieb

BethanyLieb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic

I came across iColours.ca and instantly started picking out what I wanted to buy... then I stumbled across the FAQ section and found out replacing your apple logo voids your warranty. I have the APP so I definitely don't want to do this. Is there a seal that is broken so Apple will be able to tell? I want to replace mine... and if I had a problem later down the road and had to take in my computer to be fixed I figured I'd just put the original back in. Does anyone know much about this? The instructions of how to do it are on the site. It seems simple enough... I just don't want to risk totally messing up my computer.

Just in case you were wondering... I want orange.

To match my sweet lap top case.

Bethany
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyLieb View Post
I came across iColours.ca and instantly started picking out what I wanted to buy... then I stumbled across the FAQ section and found out replacing your apple logo voids your warranty. I have the APP so I definitely don't want to do this. Is there a seal that is broken so Apple will be able to tell? I want to replace mine... and if I had a problem later down the road and had to take in my computer to be fixed I figured I'd just put the original back in. Does anyone know much about this? The instructions of how to do it are on the site. It seems simple enough... I just don't want to risk totally messing up my computer.

Just in case you were wondering... I want orange.

To match my sweet lap top case.

I have also read that there is some sort of tamper-evident seal on Mac portables.

Typically these kinds of seals are placed in a very conspicuous way so as to deter the user from opening the case. I did open my MacBook Pro shortly after I got it, just because I'm a geek like that and I wanted to see the placement of the components.

As an IT professional, I've opened literally hundreds of laptops, so I am very careful and always focused on the details to make sure that my work is done well. With that said, I noticed no tamper-evident seals anywhere within my MBP. This may be because mine was a refurbished machine to begin with, but I highly doubt it.

In my opinion, rumors of such a seal are urban legend. That doesn't mean there isn't one - but if there is - it must be very well hidden.

YMMV, of course - but do consider it carefully before you pull the trigger and keep in mind that you would need to remove the overlay if you ever had to send the machine in for service.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Do this instead... (CLICK!)
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

I used to have what Ride suggested above and it's definitely the safer choice. Mine didn't fit very well (Poorly made, not poorly applied) so I removed it after a month. The internal ones do look better in my opinion but it's just not worth the hassle unless you have lots of cash or you're already out of your warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
MMMII

MMMII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram

Where did you get that laptop case Bethany? I know someone that would really like it.

Thanks!

http://www.mmmii.com

Home: 15" 2.6GHz MPB; 160gig TV; 16gig White 3G iPhone; 80gig 5.5 iPod; Gen 2 shuffle. Work: 17" 2.5 GHz MPB
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
Where did you get that laptop case Bethany? I know someone that would really like it.

Thanks!
http://www.barrysfarm.net/

They have some other funky ones too!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

That's crap. With G4 iBooks you remove 4 screws and the back case pops off. From start to finish its a 5 minute job. It's about as easy as adding or removing RAM and equally as non-destructive. No wires to disconnect or anything, just the four screws.
I saw BOO to Apple.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
chrisgrieve

chrisgrieve is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook 12" G4 (tiger) 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 320Gb Hard Drive, (leopard)

i agree with the above post, i done this to my ibook today, took all of 5 minutes, and it doesn't cost anything either.
QUOTE Thanks
BethanyLieb

Yeah but the macbook pro is significantly more complicated to deconstruct. i emailed the owner of the site and he said there's no seal so i'm goin for it. i want orange. i want it bad.

Bethany
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

that is a sweet laptop case and good luck with the mod.
Oh and I see you're from dublin, cool, i went to Pickerington

CPU 2ghz C2D Black Mackbook/2gigs Ram/120gigHDD
Camera Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lenses Canon 18mm-55mm/100mm Macro/75-300mm/70-200f/4L/10-22 UWA
Check Out My Work
QUOTE Thanks
BethanyLieb

yeah i go to osu too... are you still a student or a graduate?

Bethany
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

still a student, i've switched my major about 4x

Computer Engineering > Architecture > Finance > Film Studies. I should be done next spring or so.

Check Out My Work
QUOTE Thanks
BethanyLieb

gotcha.. i've switched once.

journalism>pre-med minoring in spanish. should be interesting. i just finished my first year so i have plenty of time to change my mind.

Bethany
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

yeah, you'll have that. 4 years have gone by fast.

Check Out My Work
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Confused (with headache). How to hook MBP to tv? | Question About Shared Memory »