Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic
    Arrow New MacBooks are just as good/better than my MBP?
    I ordered my MBP like... 3 weeks ago. Haven't even gotten it... but I just got on Apple's website and saw that I could've paid $500 less for a 160 drive instead of 120.... with just as much everything else? the only thing that is different is the screen size... right? should i cancel my order before my mbp gets here? man. this sucks. apple needs to warn us before this happens.
    Bethany

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    You get a bigger screen, thinner laptop, a real graphics card, illuminated keyboard, FireWire 800, ExpressCard
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    what is firewall 800? haha... god... i suck at life. i don't know what the expresscard is either.
    Bethany

Specs:
    firewire 800 is the fastest expansion port available. USB 2.0 can go up to 480mbps (never does), Firewire 400 (what all the old iPods used, most video cameras use) goes at 400mbps, and Firewire 800 goes at 800mbps. This is useful for external hard drives if you are doing video because it can transfer very very fast.

ExpressCard is a new technology that will be used for wireless internet through your cellphone provider.

Specs:
    15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram
    I guess it all boils down to what you need your laptop for. If you don't mind the screen size of the MB then maybe it's the way to go.

Personally, I never use the Firewire port on my MBP or my PB for anything so my MB purchase was driven by screen size and portability.
    http://www.mmmii.com

Home: 15" 2.6GHz MPB; 160gig TV; 16gig White 3G iPhone; 80gig 5.5 iPod; Gen 2 shuffle. Work: 17" 2.5 GHz MPB

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41 View Post
    You get a bigger screen, thinner laptop, a real graphics card, illuminated keyboard, FireWire 800, ExpressCard
    what he said - all these things add up to being well worth the $500 bucks for me

you're gonna need that video card if you don't want to be limited on what game you throw on it

if you like to sit in the dark, or maybe go to bed and maybe do a little browsing or finish off those last couple of posts here at m-f instead of reading, the illuminated keyboard is the bomb

If you get into saving videos, you're gonna want the FW800 to connect your external drives

and expresscard slot - for those that really want to speed up data transfers, there are eSATA cards available now which bumps the FW800 up by another 25-50% in some instances

and besides that, once you open up the box with that shiny new MacBook Pro - you'll not have another thought of trading it for a MacBook
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Sorry, fixing some things.

firewire 800 is the fastest serial bus interface standard available.

USB 2.0 can go up to 480mbps (never does),
    translates to 60 Megabytes per second. Explaining things in megabits to a person that's "a computer noobie" is useless...some times Megabytes are too, but they're a lot more common...

Firewire 400 (what all the old iPods used, most video cameras use) goes at 400mbps,
    50 Megabytes per second

and Firewire 800 goes at 800mbps.
    100 megabytes per second

This is useful for external hard drives if you are doing video because it can transfer very very fast.
    Not just video, but audio editing and file transfers, watching movies from the drive, listening to music, etc...It's very limited though as far as storage goes because there's no where near the choice in drives as compared to USB and firewire 400 drives. I found a Western Digital mybook 500gb with FW800 support for about $200 on www.newegg.com. Problem is, half the people that reviewed it said that it died on them...that's not normal WD quality. And most enclosures I've seen run more than $100, so it's no cheaper to build your own. Not unless you can find a quality 500gb drive for under $100
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    translates to 60 Megabytes per second. Explaining things in megabits to a person that's "a computer noobie" is useless...some times Megabytes are too, but they're a lot more common...

Actual transfer speeds aren't really even important here either. Its all relative. I doubt Bethany actually cares if its 50 or 60 or 100 mb/sec

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    and expresscard slot - for those that really want to speed up data transfers, there are eSATA cards available now which bumps the FW800 up by another 25-50% in some instances
    eSATA transfers up to 2400 mpbs, which is 300 Megabytes per second, so it can be considered closer to 300% than 25-50%. That would only make it at 125 Megabytes - 150 Megabytes per second.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    Yeah i'm not sure what any of that means... HAHA... but hey... I like the silver metallic case and the big screen so I'm fine with it I suppose. Thanks guys!!
    Bethany

Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by BethanyLieb View Post
    Yeah i'm not sure what any of that means... HAHA... but hey... I like the silver metallic case and the big screen so I'm fine with it I suppose. Thanks guys!!
    Wealthy AND attractive... wow!!!

Specs:
    haha... thanks ride. i hope you're talking about me and not village idiot, or else I'll feel pretty silly posting this.
    Bethany

Specs:
    Mac's
    Definitely you... definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
    Definitely you... definitely.
    x2....

I've had my MBP for 2 months+, and for me, the bigger screen, dedicated graphics card & design (other than wishing it had a magnetic latch) was more than good enough reason for me to spend the extra $$ The MacBook update doesn't (or shouldn't?) change the reasons why you got the MBP in the first place... Just my 2 cents!!

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    eSATA transfers up to 2400 mpbs, which is 300 Megabytes per second, so it can be considered closer to 300% than 25-50%. That would only make it at 125 Megabytes - 150 Megabytes per second.
    You're only looking at theoretical throughput. Means nothing in real world practice and what can actually be achieved through the interface. Need to spend some time reviewing actual comparisons and benchmark testing on the different connections to see what can really be acheived. Here is one at the bottom of the page. You can find others with google, but these will be typical of what you will find. MHC had one posted in another thread from Barefeats, but there are plenty out there.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Information