New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook Slower After RAM Upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

1234321 is on a distinguished road

I just added 1 Gig of Crucial to my Macbook making it 1.5 Gigs (I had two 512 sticks in before). After the upgrade, my Macbook has been starting up really slow now. Anyone have this problem, or know how to fix it. I have a Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz.

Whitebook 2.0 ghz C2D, 1.5GB Ram, 160GB HD
Samsung SyncMaster 941BW 19"
Wireless Mighty Mouse
4GB iPod Nano Silver
QUOTE Thanks
griffo70

griffo70 is on a distinguished road

im no pro , but i may as well try and help, have you checked that both the memory units are actually being read by the machine ?? or this may be because it can go slower if both the memory units arent equal hope someone can elaborate on this,
QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

Take out the new stick and see if it restarts quicker... if it does, there's your problem...
QUOTE Thanks
Msamuelson34

Msamuelson34 is on a distinguished road

I have always been weary of buying RAM at a discounted rate from a 3rd party supplier.

I am hoping to upgrade my Macbook to 2Gb of RAM, but i figured it would be better to shell out the extra cost through Apple instead of the risk of Dead RAM, or even worse destroying your warranty and computer.

I may be wrong, but it seems that you might dead RAM. Going through sites that have really really cheap RAM makes me nervous. I am sure most of the time you will be satisfied with your purchase, but the other times it can really suck. And im sure I am able to install the memory myself, but I would much rather hold Apple financially liable for my computer
QUOTE Thanks
Huey69

Huey69 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz

The problem is, the Macbook runs better with two identical rams. By having two different sized rams, it actually slows down the computer slightly. I would recomend purchassing two same sized sticks of ram.
QUOTE Thanks

The computer recognizes 1.5 Gigs, so I'm guessing the ram works just fine, I guess I'll try to take one out and see how it goes.

Wireless Mighty Mouse
4GB iPod Nano Silver
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msamuelson34 View Post
I have always been weary of buying RAM at a discounted rate from a 3rd party supplier.

I am hoping to upgrade my Macbook to 2Gb of RAM, but i figured it would be better to shell out the extra cost through Apple instead of the risk of Dead RAM, or even worse destroying your warranty and computer.

I may be wrong, but it seems that you might dead RAM. Going through sites that have really really cheap RAM makes me nervous. I am sure most of the time you will be satisfied with your purchase, but the other times it can really suck. And im sure I am able to install the memory myself, but I would much rather hold Apple financially liable for my computer
That sort of thinking is so backwards to me.

You think Apple sells you higher quality RAM than a third-party vendor does? Just in case you can't figure it out, the answer is NO. Apple sells the same stuff that everybody else does. There's no specific brand Apple sticks with. The only thing that the various types of RAM have in common is the ridiculous price Apple slaps on.

You can get a 2x1GB set for literally a fraction of the price of what Apple offers. And to be honest, the cheaper set will actually be BETTER than what Apple sells.

Upgrading your RAM doesn't void your warranty. Buying from a reputable third-party vendor won't destroy your computer. You don't have to feel like you're getting shoddy hardware from a third-party vendor. In fact, places like Newegg have amazing return/exchange policies, better than Apple actually.

It's people like you who have this weird aversion to third-party vendors that companies like Apple are allowed to add ridiculous markups. But I guess you think the $260 extra you'll be paying Apple is just "insurance"....

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

basically everything kash said i agree with.

is this the crucial RAM that has that mail-in rebate that was posted here recently?

Blog- My random musings as I document the spiritual changes I go through.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." 1st Corinithians 3:13
QUOTE Thanks

This is the one I got. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145048
I think it's the same one posted before.

Wireless Mighty Mouse
4GB iPod Nano Silver
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What Kash said.
The only way to know what RAM you are getting is to either buy direct from the manufacturer or a dealer like newegg.
And over and above that, this Ram purchased from the 3rd party supplier is from one of the top manufacturers of RAM. On the other hand, buy from Apple and you have no idea which company actually manufactured the RAM, nor will you have available to you the specs of the RAM you are getting.

The one rule I personally have for purchasing RAM - the manufacturer and the specs must be identified, including voltage requirements and particularly the timing. If the distributor is not willing to post this info, then they are purchasing RAM from whomever has it the for the cheapest price at any given point in time. There "IS" a reason for a seller not disclosing this info.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Joedub

Joedub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234321 View Post
This is the one I got. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145048
I think it's the same one posted before.
Why would you buy one 1gig stick for 69.99 when you can get 2 for 79.99?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233050
QUOTE Thanks

At the time I bought it, it was $55 + $20 Rebate so $35 after rebate.

Wireless Mighty Mouse
4GB iPod Nano Silver
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

buttuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD

I think you should get 2 of the same speed/size sticks
QUOTE Thanks
Msamuelson34

Msamuelson34 is on a distinguished road

I guess I was misinformed about the voiding of the warranty by unscrewing the memory plate casing. My bad. I was under the impression that if you did try and install memory manually and you were to damage your computer that you would be liable.

I was curious about this and asked a Apple Sale's Consultant in the store and he said that opening the case would void your warranty and it is possible that buying RAM from a a 3rd party could possibly be dead or ruin your computer. Maybe it was all a sales pitch to buy their products, you are probably right.

Do you have to ground yourself when installing RAM? I have seen the video tutorial and it looks fairly simple, but I am just curious about what prep or any steps prior to opening the casing you should take so you do not short out your computer. I am guessing step one is turn off the computer..ha

Thanks for the help and comment Kash! Thanks for setting me straight, Appreciate it!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Upgrading RAM is very simple. Just make sure you're not wearing any socks or clothes that create a lot of static (i.e. wool sweaters). Be sure to do the work on a non-carpeted floor, or at least cover the carpet with something non-conductive (I use the plastic thing that sits under my chair). To ground yourself, just touch anything metal.

Then open up the RAM slot, pull out the old RAM, slide in the new, and you're set.

It may sound like a bit of work, but it's not that bad. Though I guess years of experience helps a bit

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A few questions from a (soon to be) new Mac user | Something For The Perfectionists... »