New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

powerbook getting pretty hot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

h3o

I just got my powerbook the other day, all my computers in the past have been desktops so this is my first laptop. After using it for about a half hour, the bottom gets pretty hot… is this normal? I can't imagine how hot it would get if I kept it on and used it for 8 hours. The area that gets the hottest is toward the back center near the hinge. The battery itself stays fairly cool.

powerbook 1.5 ghz, 1024ram, 5400rpm HD, 128 video
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

They do get pretty hot...Not to the point of burning but they get hot enough that you can really heat up your whole body if you keep it on your lap

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer

Are you charging and using the battery if so, then yeah it'll get hot enough to cook an egg.
QUOTE Thanks
h3o

ahh... so that was it then... I was charging and using the batt at the same time. I'm using it now on just the batt and I've had it on for an hour and it's nowhere near how hot it was yesterday. It is barely even warm now.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

8 hours is nothing. Try leaving it on 24/7 like me.
QUOTE Thanks
h3o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
8 hours is nothing. Try leaving it on 24/7 like me.
Well, being in Antarctica, you probably never have issues with your powerbook overheating! :p

seriously though, is it okay to leave the powerbook on for 12 hours while plugged in?
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Yeah, it's safe. I always leave my PowerBook on, and I know others who do too.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3o
Well, being in Antarctica, you probably never have issues with your powerbook overheating! :p

seriously though, is it okay to leave the powerbook on for 12 hours while plugged in?
I just checked the uptime on my powerbook and its at 6 days now (had to restart with the security update)

When I am at my desk I remove my battery and just use AC....I will pop in the battery and use it til its close to empty a couple times a week and charge it over night and take it out in the morning.

i still get around 4 hours a charge on it

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
h3o

I just checked out some of these "notebook coolers", has anyone used any of these before? such as the antec fan powered cooler.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

i use these square flashing drink ice cubes made by bacardi to keep my powerbook elevated about half an inch off the desk..it keeps a nice flow of air below and always keeps my powerbook operating at a cool temp.

Just wait till the G5 powerbooks come out...imagine how hot they will operate at !
QUOTE Thanks
socialpest

I like it, it keeps my hands warm.
QUOTE Thanks
iaminvincible

iaminvincible is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram

I have a 15" titanium powerbook and i seem to experience the same problem. even when i use it only with the battery, it gets pretty hot. is that normal with the titanium model? :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Yes, it does, I have a Ti PowerBook also. At times it seem to get very warm to the touch.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Sundance

my powerbook stays pretty cool the first few hours of use... but after a while it begins to get warm... not uncomfortably warm though...

when i'm using the laptop if i remove the battery and have it plugged in... does that extend the battery life or something vs just leaving the battery in?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I wish I could tell you which would extend the battery life. I don't know. My wife's iBook is always plugged in, whereas I am running 50/50. I have two batteries and she has one. We are using the original battery that came with the systems when we bought them in 2001.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gaming on a new iBook? | Best 3rd party ram? »