New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Interesting Memory Upgrade Experience

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

So a few days ago, I purchased some RAM, 2 1 GB sticks (Apple brand) for $100 even from latinpride613 (great experience, highly reccomend!) and they arrived today via EXPRESS mail =)

I eagerly flipped over my mac, unplugged it, and opened it up to remove my factory memory. However I discovered I had 2 512 mb hynix sticks, without any apple sticker (my new sticks have apple memory sticker things on them, and a samsung sticker).

I bought my macbook as a refurb directly from apple, is it possible they left it someone's upgrade from 512 to a 3rd party 1GB? Or is this brand just another one that apple uses?

Also, what are some nifty things I can try with my recently installed 2GBs? =)

PS You really gotta push on them things to get em in!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You should try and open as many programs as possible. If you've got Parallels installed, run that too. Then enjoy the seamless switching between all of them (helps if you have something like VirtueDesktops installed)

As for your memory, it's possible that the person originally had 2x256MB modules and upgraded to 2x512MB and left them in. Though I'm guessing it's just another brand Apple uses as the original sticks from my Macbook don't have the Apple symbol (they actually have an M with a swirl around it)

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
joshed_240sx

joshed_240sx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2Ghz, 2GB ram, 500 gb HD

I recently put in two 1 gig sticks of the G Skill ram in my macbook! I found the same type of ram, the Hynix brand, when i took out the old 2 512s!
QUOTE Thanks
JuJuBeee

JuJuBeee is on a distinguished road

fyi apple doesnt make their own ram...hynix are the stock ones
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Just hynix or samsung as well?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I've only seen Hynix brand in Intel Macs. Maybe the previous user installed the Samsung themselves.
Either way, more stuff to sell on eBay to recoup some money.
As for maxing out your RAM, I love to mess around with the setting on the iTunes visualizer. Bump it up the max at full screen and turn on the FPS counter and turn off the limiter. Watch those frames FLY!
I would think the fastest way to clog a lot of RAM is to do some full screen video action while keeping some other apps open.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

Did anyone ever purchase the ram upgrade from apple? I got the ram upgrade from latinpride613 along with a recipt from apple, the memory module box from apple, and apple stickers on the ram itself. However this memory is samsung. Did this memory not come from apple? Or is samsung their choice for upgrades and hynix for standard? According to this its samsung, can anyone confirm?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My First Mac! Can't Wait! | Couple Capability Questions »