New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook G4 800 RAM Upgrade question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wickedbusa

I am new to using Mac's and have recently made the switch from Windows. My iBook has met my expectations so far, but I want to upgrade the RAM to perhaps make it a little less sluggish. I see that Apple recommends a max of 640; however, I see that there are 1 gig RAM chips available. If I go beyond the recommended 640, will my computer get screwed up from it? I just want to use this laptop for a couple of months as I plan on getting a Powerbook soon. Should I just go with the 512 RAM upgrade instead? I have the iBook G4 800 mhz, 256 RAM, OS X Panther
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

No your computer won't screw up. When they recommend that..they mean they recomend no less than that. As long as your iBook can hold more than that..the memmory will only do wonders for you.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

also, 1gig sticks are crazy expensive right now...hope you're willing to fork out like 400-500 bucks....I'd say get a 512 stick...and wait for the gig sticks to drop in price. But if you have the money, max that sob out, and rock on!
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

Should there be a big difference with the 512 upgrade?
QUOTE Thanks
tmjf_sifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbusa
Should there be a big difference with the 512 upgrade?
i have tried the 1g stick and there was not that much difference compared to 640. it is really a waste of money. if you want speed that bad, or have that level of memory requirements, get a powerbook. iBooks were not designed as video or audio editing workstations. if you are only going to do regular consumer stuff, 640 is plenty.

holden
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Increasing your memory does not increase the speed of your hardware. Increasing the memory enables you to have more applications open at one time. Also some of the processor heavy applications can use the extra memory, like photoShop.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 768MB RAM Vs 1.25 Gigs RAM | Upgrading 1.2ghz iBook ram? »