New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook Keyboard Illumination

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Quest

Quest is on a distinguished road

I have a question: Is the keyboard of the Macbook easily illuminated by the light from the screen? I know that the keys themselves are not illuminated, so I am concerned about this. I will be using the notebook a lot in dark environments.

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Only when the brightness is turned up rather high. When it's low, you can't see squat. I've found myself on many occasions tilting the screen down just to see where certain keys were.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

My advice for you if you don't want to affect your screen life by turning the brightness up is to just buy a nice desk lamp to compliment your Mac.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Or just buy one of these
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5a84/

You can often find them cheaper on ebay.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
Or just buy one of these
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5a84/

You can often find them cheaper on ebay.
Yeah, I got one of those at a conference from Dell's booth. Or maybe one of my co-workers attended the conference and gave it to me. Been to too many conferences. It didn't work that well with my Dell, ironically enough, because the USB ports are on the back and it isn't long enough to go over the screen, and it was kind of awkward if you snaked it to the side and it kept falling out of place.

But for a Macbook with side mounted USB ports it should work nicely. If I could find the thing. Now you have me looking all around the office for it.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Hi quest - I have a Mac Book Pro and in low light situations my keyboard illuminates. I think there are senors under near the speakers as if I cover them the screen dims and the keys light up. Generally though, there is so much light emitted by the screen that I use a desk lamp.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

well i find you dont need it after a month or so u can type on your macbook with out looking the keyboard seams to work so well but u can always try a mod of some sort or find some glow in the dark keys or something lol
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDDoG View Post
Hi quest - I have a Mac Book Pro and in low light situations my keyboard illuminates. I think there are senors under near the speakers as if I cover them the screen dims and the keys light up. Generally though, there is so much light emitted by the screen that I use a desk lamp.
Yes the MBP's have illuminated keys, but the macbook does not

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

AnthonyJK will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

Touch type. Who needs an illuminated keyboard?
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJK View Post
Touch type. Who needs an illuminated keyboard?
I have often wondered the same thing.
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
I have often wondered the same thing.

my point exacly
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« memory for new MB from new egg will it work? | Problem's chargeing »