Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2007
    Posts
    31
    mini-dvi to VGA issues...
    Hi all,

    I sometimes connect my Macbook to my LCD tv/monitor and use front row + airtunes to watch movies on my TV... however, if I have my lid closed, I only get audio and no video. It seems like the video card will only send video to my tv when the lid is open. Any ideas how to resolve this? My previous dell could send video to the tv even if the lid was closed...

    TIA

  2. #2

    walkerj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    You're probably running spanned, and when close the lid it thinks you don't want to see anything anymore. Go into Displays in System Prefs (or use the displays on the Menu Bar) and "Turn on mirroring". It should then just display the same thing on both screens and when you close the lid it should keep the video on.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by e46ci View Post
    Hi all,

    I sometimes connect my Macbook to my LCD tv/monitor and use front row + airtunes to watch movies on my TV... however, if I have my lid closed, I only get audio and no video. It seems like the video card will only send video to my tv when the lid is open. Any ideas how to resolve this? My previous dell could send video to the tv even if the lid was closed...

    TIA
    I have wanted to connect mine to a lcd tv, can you tell me how you do it.

  4. #4

    walkerj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by jjhellis View Post
    I have wanted to connect mine to a lcd tv, can you tell me how you do it.
    If the LCD TV has an RGB (nee, VGA) connector you can get a $20US Mini-DVI to VGA adapter with which you can connect the Mac to the TV. If your TV has a DVI connector, you can get a Mini-DVI to DVI connector to connect the Mac to the TV. Then you switch the TV to whatever mode uses that connector (mine has an RGB button on the remote that switches it) and then use it as a huge monitor or watch movies.

    If your TV has neither, then there's other mechanisms, but I am unfamiliar with them.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2007
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
    If the LCD TV has an RGB (nee, VGA) connector you can get a $20US Mini-DVI to VGA adapter with which you can connect the Mac to the TV. If your TV has a DVI connector, you can get a Mini-DVI to DVI connector to connect the Mac to the TV. Then you switch the TV to whatever mode uses that connector (mine has an RGB button on the remote that switches it) and then use it as a huge monitor or watch movies.

    If your TV has neither, then there's other mechanisms, but I am unfamiliar with them.
    Thanks for the info

    I have just ordered the adapter a bit expensive £20 but it will be worth it with all the films I have.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2007
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jjhellis View Post
    Thanks for the info

    I have just ordered the adapter a bit expensive £20 but it will be worth it with all the films I have.
    definitely worth it... w/my previous dell, i had to use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo to achieve my couch potato status but w/the macbook, all i need is my little remote to navigate my movies.

    I've been considering apple tv but till i decide to pull the trigger, this is the next best thing!

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Mar 03, 2007
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
    You're probably running spanned, and when close the lid it thinks you don't want to see anything anymore. Go into Displays in System Prefs (or use the displays on the Menu Bar) and "Turn on mirroring". It should then just display the same thing on both screens and when you close the lid it should keep the video on.
    Finally got this working with the help of insomnia...
    the only way the Macbook video card will work w/the lid closed is if insomnia is running in the background. Didn't make a diff if mirrored displays was on or off!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 07:52 PM
  2. mini DVI to VGA?
    By skee in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2008, 10:55 PM
  3. Trading DVI-VGA for Mini DVI-VGA
    By Clubbernox in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 10:25 PM
  4. Mini DVI to VGA Cable? ..or mini DVI to DVI?
    By vxdom in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 02:51 PM
  5. mini-DVI to DVI/VGA for macbook
    By climbguy in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •