Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD
    Turning Macbook into Desktop
    I was going to buy a MacMini, but i've been advised to just get the appropriate wires to turnt my Macbook into a desktop, so i have the best of both worlds. Portable and at home.

My question is, is it ok to leave the Macbook on for long periods of time with the lid closed, using it as a desktop. I don't want it to overheat and blow up.

Also, would you advise using it as a desktop.

Finally, what wire do i need to convert my Macbook DVI to connect to my Dell VGA monitor.

UK links please. Thanks.

Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    Hey Hustle.

I got a Black MacBook. About leaving it on for a while with the lid closed. Yeah there is no issues there I do that all the time with mine and no issues of overheating or anything.

I don't see any problems with u using it as a desktop, after all its an amazing Computer as u might have already figured out and its very stable.

And Finally, to convert the out to VGA u need to get the mini-DVI to VGA cable from Apple I think its $20, not sure how much will it be in UK.

Hope that helped.

Mina

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    To be honest - why even close the lid? If you've got the space on your desk, just work with it open!

There's nothing better than working with 2 screens: One for your main application windows, one for IM clients, iTunes, Mail etc.

I have my large monitor set as my primary display (with the menu bar and dock) and my Macbook's internal display as my secondary. It's a nice way to work IMO and a great advantage when using a laptop.

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    To be honest - why even close the lid? If you've got the space on your desk, just work with it open!

There's nothing better than working with 2 screens: One for your main application windows, one for IM clients, iTunes, Mail etc.

I have my large monitor set as my primary display (with the menu bar and dock) and my Macbook's internal display as my secondary. It's a nice way to work IMO and a great advantage when using a laptop.
    Exactly. I do the very same thing with my PowerBook.
    There is no need to close the screen. Just use an external display in conjunction with your LCD and get even more screen real estate!

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
    I would suggest a lifter and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I got an iCurve and Apple bluetooth keyboard and MM. I love the extras and I'm saving for a monitor to mount at my bar downstairs where I do most my foolin'

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
    i got rid of desktop pc for my macbook and never looked back a grate bit of kit can handel everything i have tryed to run

Specs:
    Black Macbook. 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM :D

You can do that?? You mean like so that its just like having a dual monitor set up? Do you need anything other than the conector coz I already have that. I thought it would switch off the normal display or something. Now I HAVE to get a new monitor! What resolution can you get to? Is 22" 1680x1050 too much?

EDIT: this one seems so tempting and will look very nicely with my black MB http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113148/rb/27813314860

Specs:
    iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
    I only close the lid to keep the dust off the keyboard, otherwise it is my desktop.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
    MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    kaz2550, that Samsung monitor looks very nice, and what looks to be a pretty decent price (Newegg sells that monitor for $250, but then again, you don't have Newegg as an option).

The Macbook can support a resolution up to 1920x1200, so that Samsung's resolution of 1680x1050 won't be a problem

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
    I use my g4 ibook as my main comp and it is open all the time, works fine.
    Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
    iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz2550 View Post
    You can do that?? You mean like so that its just like having a dual monitor set up? Do you need anything other than the conector coz I already have that. I thought it would switch off the normal display or something. Now I HAVE to get a new monitor! What resolution can you get to? Is 22" 1680x1050 too much?

EDIT: this one seems so tempting and will look very nicely with my black MB http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/113148/rb/27813314860
    Yeah, that display will work great.

I have the similar Samsung 206BW (doesn't seem to be much of a difference as far as I can tell), and it's a really nice setup!

i don't reccomend to work with closed lid, because it can't cool the system, because the main ventilation is on the bottom of the screen and if you close air vent will be stoped
    or you can use this http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/...x=224&code=030 for cooling the system
    Apple MacBook | Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz | 2 GB DDR2 | Combo Drive | 250 GB HDD | Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

I do exactly the same thing!!

My MBP is only a notebook when I'm not at home.

At home, 20"LCD, and wireless keyboard and mouse do the trick.

Specs:
    Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz2550 View Post

Exactly! I have the Samsung 22" 225BW and it is fabulous. I'm using DVI input, plus Apple's BT KB and mouse. The Samsung came with a PC CD so I was concerned there was no Mac support. Hah! It worked perfectly right out of the box and even sleeps when my MB sleeps! And it even runs a different background display than my MB.

A 22" has the same resolution as a 20" so the only difference is in size. (I believe 1680 x1050 is the max. resolution the MB will output.) The only "problem" is that the Samsung is so bright it is hard on the eyes. I have my brightness now set at 10%. The all-black monitor just looks so great sitting up above my MB. I use it as a secondary display with 2 Safari windows open side-by-side, then do email and have a third Safari window open below on the MB. Yesterday I tried the ultimate display: OS-X running on MB, and Win-XP desktop running via Parallels on Samsung. Two displays—two OSs! Now THAT looked unbelievable!

Specs:
    MacBook C2D 2 GHz 2 GB RAM 120 GB HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by cramar View Post
    Exactly! I have the Samsung 22" 225BW and it is fabulous. I'm using DVI input, plus Apple's BT KB and mouse. The Samsung came with a PC CD so I was concerned there was no Mac support. Hah! It worked perfectly right out of the box and even sleeps when my MB sleeps! And it even runs a different background display than my MB.

A 22" has the same resolution as a 20" so the only difference is in size. (I believe 1680 x1050 is the max. resolution the MB will output.) The only "problem" is that the Samsung is so bright it is hard on the eyes. I have my brightness now set at 10%. The all-black monitor just looks so great sitting up above my MB. I use it as a secondary display with 2 Safari windows open side-by-side, then do email and have a third Safari window open below on the MB. Yesterday I tried the ultimate display: OS-X running on MB, and Win-XP desktop running via Parallels on Samsung. Two displays—two OSs! Now THAT looked unbelievable!
    MB supports up to 1920x1200 external, not 1680x1050. Or in other words, up to most 24" displays.

Next purchase for me will be ditching this 17" LCD for a 24"model.

Thread Information