New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Question about DVD player

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fomer

Will my powerbook play Region 2 dvd's. (England) I have a US Powerbook (duno if theres a difference cause I don't know about England's stuff) Anyways theres some dvd's that do not exsist in region 1 that I would love to add to my library, but I am affraid my only means of a dvd player is a sorry 50 dollar Apex (which I doubt would play them), my Xbox (no clue), and my laptop.

I have no experience with region 2, but I have seen on Region 1 it says will not play in most Region 2 dvd players. Leading me to believe there is a difference. If it calls for it I will drop the money and buy a European DVD player. But I'd rather not...

Thanks to whomever can help.

(My Powerbook is no the newest but the one right before it. 15 Inch (the combo drive not super)
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

i'm not sure, but i think i heard somewhere that VLC will play different region DVD's. check versiontracker.com
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer

Do you think it would be a matter of the software and not the actual laptop? I hadn't even given thought to it could be as simple as using VLC... I wasn't even aware I could use VLC to play my region 1 dvds. I think I've gone Dos in my head, need to go back to thinking simple. I typed in region 2 and was unable to bring up anything other than Region X but that for Chinese, Japense, etc to be able to play Region 1 and not vice-versa from my understanding...
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

A laptop DVD drive will play only specific DVDs from that region itself. So if your drive is set for region 2, it will play region 2 DVDs only. You are allowed to change the region 4 times (I think!). I got my PB from USA and use it here in England. My DVD region is set to 2 (for europe). I know that I can change it 4 more times, but not anymore after that, not even after i format my laptop! So careful there :rolleyes:

Hope that helps!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I have read that you can change the region code on your DVD drive five times. after that you are lock to the last setting. I also read there is a hack that can get around the region setting, but it will void your warranty, due to is messes with the DVDs firmware.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer

Update...

I checked out the products on amazon.co.uk
And the dvd's I would be picking up are.

Edition Details:
Region 0
*Box set, PAL

Then I checked a DVD site....

REGION 0 - Region Free. Will play on any player, in any region.

Optimisticism rocks! Thanks for helping me, guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Fomer

Now that's cleared up will Amazon.co.uk ship to the US. International shipping fee's are worth it to me.

And I wanted to find one more site backing that statement up. And It said "Region Zero, will play in all Regions. NTFC for NTFC and PAL for PAL"

So would the fact that Strider's Laptop plays Pal, would mean mine could. This wouldn't mess with the 5 time change Region setting would it?
QUOTE Thanks
section31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomer
Now that's cleared up will Amazon.co.uk ship to the US. International shipping fee's are worth it to me.

And I wanted to find one more site backing that statement up. And It said "Region Zero, will play in all Regions. NTFC for NTFC and PAL for PAL"

So would the fact that Strider's Laptop plays Pal, would mean mine could. This wouldn't mess with the 5 time change Region setting would it?
I order from Amazon UK all the time for CDs since I buy a lot of imports. The prices are actually comparable but the shipping will reflect a higher price but worth it imo and as it seems it will be worth it to you too.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

You can change your region five times on your mac dvd player....be careful though...the last one is the one it stays at.....if worst comes to worse...rip dvd using something like dvd backup, then use something like dvd2onex to compress it, then you can set what ever region you'd like.....I don't know why they limit region changes...but many dvd players do for some reason.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook Docking Station | Just got my iBook!!!! »