New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Older PB vs New iBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LxMx

Hi, I recently got the opportunity to purchase a laptop for school. I was originally was going to get an iBook 14" but I then saw the Titanium Powerbook design, it was awesome...

I will mainly be doing word processing/programming/iMovie/Sim City 4/The Sims etc.

I can get a refurbished 1Ghz Titanium Powerbook for a little cheaper than a new 14" Combo iBook. Obviously they are both about the same speed (CPU wise), but the only thing that worries me is the memory type.

1) Will the Titanium (Which only takes SDRAM) be much slower than the iBook which takes DDR SDRAM. Is the performance difference noticeable?

2) I would think the L3 cache on the PB gives it a great performance boost in various applications, is this true?

3) Would the lower amount of L2 cache on the PB (iBook has 512kb, PB has 256kb) matter?

4) Is the Radeon 9000 64Mb worse than the iBook's Radeon 9200 32MB?

5) I heard there were various heat/monitor problems with the Titanium, are these lies?

Lots of questions .
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I think you'd be better going with the iBook at this point..the only big difference now days is if you want the superdrive or not....the new powerbooks are sweet..but the new iBooks are as sweet as the old powerbooks..or pretty close to anyways...plus the titanium is an "out of date mac"..not really...but the aluminiums have been out a while now..
QUOTE Thanks
Agazzie

I was in the exact same position, very resently, like you are now. I went with a Titanium 867 with 1GB of ram instead of a new 12" iBook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3 700mhz dual usb IBook power problem | 17" Battery Life »