New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

G4 1 GHz vs G4 1.33 GHz

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

citystar2k

citystar2k is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.

Hi there, after some deliberating over if i wanted to get an iBook or a Powerbook, i've decided to get the 12" Powerbook, it just means waiting a while longer to save some more cash. I know Apple just upgraded the entire powerbook/ibook range. What i'm looking to get is either the 1GHz or the 1.33GHz, Superdrive, standard 60gig HD, with the RAM maxed out at 1.25 gig. Since i'm based in the UK, i know Apple costs just a little more here. Is it worth paying the extra 220($390)for the 0.33 difference in the processor? The main use i'll have out of the laptop is video editing, possibly Premiere, and general everyday usage. Your advice would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks for Reading.
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

The cost/benefit can really only be determined by yourself. The 1Gig PB should perform fine for what you need. For my money, I'd like to see more than slightly higher processor speed for that much of a price difference...but I tend to be cheap.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

My uncle has a 1ghz eMac and my dad has the 1.25ghz eMac
They both have the same configurations but the 1.25 seems to be twice as fast

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I think it's well worth it...it isn't just an updated processor..you get more vram too...and a faster dvd burner...4x istead of 2x.....and standard 60hd instead of standard 40g....so there you have my opinion on the matter.
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

citystar2k is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.

My mate just told me it's worth it, especially now it has airport extreme built in. That'll come handy when i fly with singapore airlines as they're going to be having wi-fi on their planes. I'll settle for the 1.33GHz, i might just need that extra kick sometime. Thanks for your replys.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by citystar2k
I'll settle for the 1.33GHz,
Damn i wish i could just settle for the 1.33

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Hi there, after some deliberating over if i wanted to get an iBook or a Powerbook, i've decided to get the 12" Powerbook, it just means waiting a while longer to save some more cash. I know Apple just upgraded the entire powerbook/ibook range. What i'm looking to get is either the 1GHz or the 1.33GHz, Superdrive, standard 60gig HD, with the RAM maxed out at 1.25 gig. Since i'm based in the UK, i know Apple costs just a little more here. Is it worth paying the extra 220($390)for the 0.33 difference in the processor? The main use i'll have out of the laptop is video editing, possibly Premiere, and general everyday usage. Your advice would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks for Reading.
I just bought one of these and yes the 1.33ghz is noticably faster than the 1ghz. I had a PC portable that died and instead of getting another PC thought that I would go for an Apple. I tried a 1ghz for 4 days then returned it and got the 1.33. Could get a good deal on the old model but the added speed, superdrive, airport extreme, larger hd and more video ram all works for me. So far it is great and screen is much better than any pc out there with maybe the exception if Sony and Toshiba portables.

Put Virtual PC 6 on it along with Win2000, Autocad and a couple of other programs that I needed the PC for. I had VPC on the 1ghz and found that side by side tests the 1.33ghz loaded Autocad drawings about twice as fast as the 1ghz.

Anything that is cpu intensive like video editing etc will be much nicer with a faster cpu.

Larry Zasitko
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMoney
I think it's well worth it...it isn't just an updated processor..you get more vram too...and a faster dvd burner...4x istead of 2x.....and standard 60hd instead of standard 40g....so there you have my opinion on the matter.

With all that it sounds like a good deal.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
it has airport extreme built in. That'll come handy when i fly with singapore airlines as they're going to be having wi-fi on their planes.
Can't wait. Also on Emirates. I always fly Emirates. The new Airbus planes are sweet. I guess they were the first to implement wi-fi on planes.
QUOTE Thanks
wahdiatme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider
Can't wait. Also on Emirates. I always fly Emirates. The new Airbus planes are sweet. I guess they were the first to implement wi-fi on planes.
does anybody have any idea of any other wifi planes..say.. AmericanAirlines?
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

got me...but it'd be cool if american airlines was..I'm flying home on them in a couple months.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Try their Website
QUOTE Thanks
tekno_geek911

I use my 1GHz 12" PowerBook for Photoshop,Cinema 4D,Final Cut Express 2,Studio MX and it works great... You may be better off spending the extra $390 on accessories/extra RAM. It cant be THAT much faster and the graphics card still sucks either way.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

the graphics card doesn't sucks...it's much better..especially with 64mb ram.
QUOTE Thanks
prozach1576

So...would you say that my en route 1.5 ghz with 128 mb VRAM will be a speed demon?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help help help help!!!! | SHOULD i »