New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Running hot, when to worry?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

As we all know, when we start doing processor intensive applications, our macs start running pretty hot. My question is should we ever worry about how hot our macs are running? I know they are designed to be used, and they have fans, etc., but is there a point when it might be necessary to let the MBP cool down a little bit? Here is a snapshot of my processor/heatsink's temperatures (the CPU was fluctuating back and forth from 175 to 180):

I'm not really concerned about these temps, but I was curious if anyone knew more than I did.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

When the palm rests get so hot to touch, I close the lid and let it sleep for a few hours.

The bad part is the dorms get so hot, that the MBP get's even hotter and I have to let it cool down so I can touch the palm rests.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric06 View Post
When the palm rests get so hot to touch, I close the lid and let it sleep for a few hours.

The bad part is the dorms get so hot, that the MBP get's even hotter and I have to let it cool down so I can touch the palm rests.
For sure high ambient temps aren't going to help matters at all. Any idea how high you've seen your CPU temps?
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
For sure high ambient temps aren't going to help matters at all. Any idea how high you've seen your CPU temps?
The highest is around 160 to 170F. If/when it hits the 160 mark I usually back away and let it cool. It usually only gets that hot when I am running Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, and Indesign or other big programs like that.

It's 9:30 AM and I am running at 140F already.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
plpete

plpete is on a distinguished road

this heat issue makes me wonder if apple will ever address it somehow. i use my mbp for a lot of video editing which it very processor and memory intensive process. i would like to continue working without having have to worry about high temps and needing to pause and let it cool off. just a thought on the heat issue.
QUOTE Thanks
plpete

plpete is on a distinguished road

i also found this interesting article on what could cause the high temps.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/...-question.html
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by plpete View Post
i also found this interesting article on what could cause the high temps.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/...-question.html
That is interesting, but I don't think I'll be doing anything that drastic. The heat doesn't really bother me because I realize my computer is blazing fast and when running memory-intensive applications it would be stupid to expect it not to heat up.

Anyone know if there is a point to actually worry about the computer (not my legs) being too hot?
QUOTE Thanks
core20

core20 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo

the heat issue is a problem for all laptops that possess the capabilities of the MBP if you look at the dell xps it has some of the same heating issues. Especially when playing video games on that "behemoth".... the heat issue is a problem for all laptops with such hardware advances. It is a necessary evil for having the abilities that the MBP has, you can always buy a cooling plate to replace your bottom cover, which will greatly help to ventilate the excess heat build up and cool down the system.

---
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will it be tough enough | Need to format... do not have password. »