New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Confused (with headache). How to hook MBP to tv?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RONE

RONE has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

I want to hook up a 15" 2GHz Intel Core Duo Macbook Pro to my non-HD tv. I'm not doing this to use it an as an external monitor, so the less-than-perfect resolution of the tv is not a factor. By staring at the output port, I have determined that my MBP has a DVI-I dual link output port. My understanding from searching is that I'll need this for the video:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nplm=M9319G/A
and something along these lines for the audio (can be picked up at Radio Shack for cheaper):
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=M9573LL/A

My confusion is with the video cable. I would like to use the component input on my tv (or at least the s-video) over the basic red/yellow/white setup (of which I believe the yellow is video?). Will this apple adapter let me do that? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The adapter lets you connect both the composite and S-video cables, but not component video.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
The adapter lets you connect both the composite and S-video cables, but not component video.
If apple would just show what the ends of the bloody cables looked like, this would be a lot easier. So this adapter has both an 's-video out' and a 'composite video out'? So the only other cable I'd need to complete the video portion of my setup would be a male-to-male s-video or composite cable?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

That would be correct

I totally agree with you that they should show pictures of the ends. I don't care what the adapter's casing looks like, I want to see the bloody connectors!!

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

"The Apple Mini-DVI to Video adapter is designed for use with the iMac (Intel Core Duo), MacBook, and 12-inch PowerBook G4. The adapter connects to the Mini-DVI port on these computers and provides both S-video and Composite video connectors so that you can view your computer on devices such as TVs, VCRs, or overhead projectors with S-Video or RCA (Composite) connectors. Video cables sold separately."

So yes, either a S-Video cable (Male to Male) or a Male to Male RCA if you went Composite.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

I just ordered one. Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
RONE

WRONG PART. Anyone trying to do this, do NOT use the links I orginally posted. I am having to return my adapter and order a new one from Apple. Once I receive the new one (and make sure it is correct), I will post its link.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

How was it the wrong part? Apple only offers three adapters. One for composite/S-video, a second for VGA, and a third for DVI. Did they send you one the VGA or DVI one?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
How was it the wrong part? Apple only offers three adapters. One for composite/S-video, a second for VGA, and a third for DVI. Did they send you one the VGA or DVI one?
Some computers have mini-DVI and others have mini-VGA ports on them

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

While original post is in the Macbook forum - He was actually looking for a MBP connector - MBP's have a DVI port, and the MacBooks have a mini-DVI - so that would be the wrong part for a MBP.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook & shopping | Modifying Apple Logo Color »