New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Got a new Macbook Pro!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frosty

frosty is on a distinguished road

hey guys!!

After stalling for awhile wondering if i shold get the macbook or not and if i should wait for santa rosa or nt. i jsut said forget and the current macbook is good enough for me so i bought it!!

its the 2.16ghz one!! but i do have a few questions

1.) I have an external mouse a Logitech MX518 and for some reason the back and forwad buttons on the mouse wont wake the pages in safari (not sure about firefox as i have not d/led i yet) go back or forward

2.) where can i d/l MSN for mac? i hear the normal msn for it is not very good what are others out there?

3.) lets say i have a few programs opened and i want to see all my windows at once what do i do to do that?

thats all i can think of for now im loving my new mackbok pro, and and u can see im pretty new to the mac ox!
QUOTE Thanks
DVaris223

DVaris223 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, iPhone

Well..instead of trying d/ling MSN which isn't going anywhere for Mac anymore I believe..try Adium, it's a universal chat client (AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc, all in one).

and to view all your windows, if it's the same on Intel Macs..press F9

EDIT: Adium's URL is adiumx.com

QUOTE Thanks
frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVaris223 View Post
Well..instead of trying d/ling MSN which isn't going anywhere for Mac anymore I believe..try Adium, it's a universal chat client (AIM, Yahoo, MSN etc, all in one).

and to view all your windows, if it's the same on Intel Macs..press F9

EDIT: Adium's URL is adiumx.com

ahh ok thank you. I dont think its f9 because that button is used to shut off the keyboard backlight....
QUOTE Thanks
DVaris223

Your welcome. I love Adiums setup..or maybe I'm just used to it LOL

And congrats on the Macbook Pro, I'm jealous haha

QUOTE Thanks
DVaris223

Ahh didn't even see the last part of that message. Hmm..then I'm not sure. never played around with a MBP..I woulda thought it would have been at least 1 of your F keys..try playing around with them a bit.

QUOTE Thanks
voided3

voided3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM

To view all apps at once (Expose'), go into system prefs and then go to expose prefs and set what hot corner/shortcut key you want it to be. By the way, press "fn" and then F9 for the F keys to act as standard function keys.

About the mouse, check for mac drivers on logitech's site. Just a word of warning though, I have a microsoft mouse with forward and back keys and they didn't work in safari or firefox.

As another poster said, Adium is an excellent choice. It is very customizable and multi-protocol which is great. There also is aMSN if you want to try something else: http://cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/
QUOTE Thanks
frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by voided3 View Post
To view all apps at once (Expose'), go into system prefs and then go to expose prefs and set what hot corner/shortcut key you want it to be. By the way, press "fn" and then F9 for the F keys to act as standard function keys.

About the mouse, check for mac drivers on logitech's site. Just a word of warning though, I have a microsoft mouse with forward and back keys and they didn't work in safari or firefox.

As another poster said, Adium is an excellent choice. It is very customizable and multi-protocol which is great. There also is aMSN if you want to try something else: http://cmq.qc.ca/4w/amsn/

ahh ok thank you. It was f9 but that ky was already in use by my keyboards backlight so i just changed it thank you. oh and what key is f13 because that is an optin as well?

and yes im using adium and i like it, i also like its icon
QUOTE Thanks
mphubbar

mphubbar is on a distinguished road

I've always assumed F13 is the eject key. Also, in system preferences if you click on keyboard and mouse and then the keyboard tab you can change how you want your function keys to work. I was confused by the same issue when I first got my MBP. The default sets the F-keys to fuction for the hardware--i.e. brightness, sound, and keyboard back light. In the system prefrences mentioned above you can check a box that says "use the F1-F12 keys to control software features" then simply pressing F9 or whatever you choose will run expose. Then to operate your volume, brightness and keyboard back light you simply hold down the fn key while pressing the appropriate F-key. I hope this makes sense. good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphubbar View Post
I've always assumed F13 is the eject key. Also, in system preferences if you click on keyboard and mouse and then the keyboard tab you can change how you want your function keys to work. I was confused by the same issue when I first got my MBP. The default sets the F-keys to fuction for the hardware--i.e. brightness, sound, and keyboard back light. In the system prefrences mentioned above you can check a box that says "use the F1-F12 keys to control software features" then simply pressing F9 or whatever you choose will run expose. Then to operate your volume, brightness and keyboard back light you simply hold down the fn key while pressing the appropriate F-key. I hope this makes sense. good luck!
ahh yes i get it thanks i did that it helps!

also 1 more question ( i prop sound annoying sry)

when my screen saver comes on how do i put a password on it, so when i take it off scrensaver it asks for a password?
QUOTE Thanks
mphubbar

mphubbar is on a distinguished road

its under the security button in system prefrences..no worries you're not annoying i ask questions non stop on here!
QUOTE Thanks
frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphubbar View Post
its under the security button in system prefrences..no worries you're not annoying i ask questions non stop on here!
ahh again thank you, and thanks everyone for all the help!!!. If i have anymore questins i'll let u guys know!
QUOTE Thanks
jotdess

jotdess has a spectacular aura about

Nice purchase. I just bought one last week and I'm loving it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
QUOTE Thanks
frosty

ok got another question

there are 3 battery options we;ll 4 if u count custom

is the only difference between the battery options when the computer/display goes to sleep or do u actually get better pefeocmace under the performance tab then u would under the better battery tab?
QUOTE Thanks
BethanyLieb

BethanyLieb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 16g iPhone 3g, 30g iPod classic

If you don't want to get adium... Microsoft Messenger is the way to go http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default...d=msnmessenger

it has almost all the same features as the PC version of MSN... key word being almost.

Bethany
QUOTE Thanks
frosty

i've got another question.

how do i burn .iso or .bins files etc to a dvd or cd??

and also how do i burn a dvd to my HDD and then burn it back to a black DVD?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook cd drive | Massive HD Upgrade »