Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1


    Member Since
    May 09, 2007
    Posts
    4
    Few questions regarding the Macbook
    Hi, I am new to macs and have been a long term windows user. I have used macs before and I am thinking of getting a macbook for higher education.

    A few questions about them though:

    1. Is it easy to type essays on the new 'scrabble tile' keys?

    2. Can it run vista aero themes when using boot camp?

    3. Is it powerful enough to run visual studio 2005 when running windows?

    4. Is the screen big enough for everyday use of applications such as office and visual studio?

    5. Can you access windows files on your hard disk on OS X when you have boot camp running with OS X and Vista and vica versa?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Noxian's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 17, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2325 View Post
    Hi, I am new to macs and have been a long term windows user. I have used macs before and I am thinking of getting a macbook for higher education.

    A few questions about them though:

    1. Is it easy to type essays on the new 'scrabble tile' keys?

    2. Can it run vista aero themes when using boot camp?

    3. Is it powerful enough to run visual studio 2005 when running windows?

    4. Is the screen big enough for everyday use of applications such as office and visual studio?

    5. Can you access windows files on your hard disk when you dual boot to windows from OS X and vica versa?

    Thanks
    1. Yup, best keyboard I have ever used on a laptop
    2. Yup it sure can run Aero
    3. Yup it sure will http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...39(vs.80).aspx
    4. I now use my MacBook for everything, the Screen is a great size the 1280x800 resolution makes it feel like a larger display
    5. If you format your Windows partition in FAT32 you will be able to read and write to it from OS X, but if its NTFS you can only read from it.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    May 09, 2007
    Posts
    4
    ok cheers dude..also do you get osx reinstall disks?

  4. #4

    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,570
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2325 View Post
    ok cheers dude..also do you get osx reinstall disks?
    Yep!


  5. #5

    Kash's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    9,385
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Yep, you get installation discs

    I really like the Macbook's chiclet style keyboard. They give a great tactile feel unlike other laptops and since they're so spaced out, I don't accidentally hit other keys with my big hands. In fact, the keyboard was actually one of the deciding factors for me between a Macbook and Macbook Pro

    June 2007
    July 2009

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Feb 18, 2007
    Posts
    265
    I really like the MB's keyboard, especially for writing essays and papers...I find it hard to use a regular keyboard now.

  7. #7

    RawfodoG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2007
    Posts
    67
    Specs:
    White MacBook, 2Ghz C2D, 2GB ram
    The keyboard is different... A friend of mine hated his, and upgraded to the pro... but I love it and it seems like most people also do. It does take a little while to get used to the spacing.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    May 09, 2007
    Posts
    4
    yeah I guess its just personal choice....

    Does anyone know whether the 2ghz macbook is worth the upgrade from the 1.83ghz?

  9. #9

    walkerj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2005
    Location
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Specs:
    13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by mike2325 View Post
    yeah I guess its just personal choice....

    Does anyone know whether the 2ghz macbook is worth the upgrade from the 1.83ghz?
    Upgrading to the 2ghz (or rather going with) Macbook is more worthwhile because of the bigger drive it comes with; 80gig vs. 60gig. Kind of like the 'upgrade' of the Black Macbook is more worth it not so much because of the color, but because it comes with a 120gig HDD. I'm a little jealous of the extra space my wife has on her black Macbook.

    I have an Apple bluetooth external keyboard I use at home, but that's only because it's a nice keyboard and the setup works well with my home office. I have no problems with the built-in keyboard when I'm at work, however. Heck, the trackpad is just fine as well even though I also have a bluetooth Mighty Mouse (which I do take to work even if I don't take the keyboard.) I would have no problem with just the trackpad and built-in keyboard if I didn't have the externals, and in fact my wife loves the keyboard and trackpad on her Macbook.

  10. #10

    wytwolf's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 09, 2006
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    358
    Specs:
    2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
    Upgrading to the 2ghz (or rather going with) Macbook is more worthwhile because of the bigger drive it comes with; 80gig vs. 60gig. Kind of like the 'upgrade' of the Black Macbook is more worth it not so much because of the color, but because it comes with a 120gig HDD. I'm a little jealous of the extra space my wife has on her black Macbook.

    I have an Apple bluetooth external keyboard I use at home, but that's only because it's a nice keyboard and the setup works well with my home office. I have no problems with the built-in keyboard when I'm at work, however. Heck, the trackpad is just fine as well even though I also have a bluetooth Mighty Mouse (which I do take to work even if I don't take the keyboard.) I would have no problem with just the trackpad and built-in keyboard if I didn't have the externals, and in fact my wife loves the keyboard and trackpad on her Macbook.

    Don't forget the 2.0Ghz macbook comes with a DVD burner while the 1.83Ghz macbook is only a DVD rom - CD burner.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-16-2008, 08:41 PM
  2. MacBook/MacBook Pro questions
    By tjbackstage in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 01:09 AM
  4. Macbook vs. Macbook Pro Questions...
    By SoundsGood in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 03:34 AM
  5. Macbook Questions for Macbook Users.
    By SoundsGood in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •