New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - The New Battery DID WHAAAA?!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Hello all,

After I download the Battery Update a few days a go I noticed major deterioration in the batery performace. Called apple and they guided me throug resetting the PMU and that didn't fixed it so they replaced my battery.

I just got the new Battery today and it was at 66% charge when I got it, showed about 4:01 hrs till empty I was like WOW, that amazing, not a second later, as soon as wireless network kicked in it droped to 2:01 hrs, COME ON, no ways wireless connection can't just shave 2 Hrs clean.

So I turned off Airport and I got back only 20 min.

I know it might still need to be calibrated, but daiiiiiimmmmmnnnnn its just wierd.

Let me know what u guys think.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
mo010

mo010 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory and 80GB hard drive, iPhone 8GB

My battery now is on 100% and i got 4:10 with AirPort on. I think 2hrs with 66% and AirPort on is normal.

Oh, is it bad for the battery to leave the charger on while the MacBook is off and its 100% charged? (sorry for hijacking your thread)
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

The calculation for the charge time remaining is a reference, not an exact scientific measurement. You'll notice it changing all the time.

Sometimes, when I first unplug my power adapter, it says I have a few hundred hours' of charge time left-- then it catches up with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo010 View Post
...Oh, is it bad for the battery to leave the charger on while the MacBook is off and its 100% charged? (sorry for hijacking your thread)
No.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Well, thats kinda of reassuring.

We'll see how it behaves after I calibrate it later on tonite. I am still using it rite now its at 48% so we'll see what happens by the time I get to my hotel.

Cheers I will post the updates.

PS mo010, no worries its all good

Mina
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo010 View Post
My battery now is on 100% and i got 4:10 with AirPort on. I think 2hrs with 66% and AirPort on is normal.

Oh, is it bad for the battery to leave the charger on while the MacBook is off and its 100% charged? (sorry for hijacking your thread)
It's fine to leave it plugged in. The PMU will stop charging the battery when it's full regardless of whether the notebook is on or off.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
The calculation for the charge time remaining is a reference, not an exact scientific measurement. You'll notice it changing all the time.

Sometimes, when I first unplug my power adapter, it says I have a few hundred hours' of charge time left-- then it catches up with reality.

No.
Agreed. Battery life measurement is not an exact science. There's no float inside the fuel tank like there is on a car. Analysis is done based on usage trends - and the time remaining is just an estimate based on several different variables.

And yes, leaving wireless radios turned on (both Bluetooth and Airport) can consume a good bit of power. Another good method of reducing consumption is to lower your screen brightness to the minimum necessary for the ambient conditions.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External Battery | Turning on the built in cam »