New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Bluetooth works when it wants to

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

I was wondering if anyone has had this issue with their macbook:

After a random restart or sleep, bluetooth goes from working fine to "Bluetooth: Not Available"

There it is with the squiggly line through the icon.

I can't seem to find a way to get it back, but after a while (maybe an hour, maybe a day), after a few restarts, it just comes back. Weird...
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

Now (within the last few days), my macbook has real issues with coming out of a sleep. It either turns on but displays nothing on the screen or asks for my password and then shows a black screen. Time for a Disk check.

No information available??!
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

steven11 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD

Time to call the Pros. I don't know about that one sounds like faulty hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

Yeah, she's been acting funny lately, I think that a trip to Atlantic City (gah, I hate that place) is in order.
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

Ah ha! Bluetooth was working randomly today. When I went to disable its "discoverable" property, POOF! Gone
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

That sure isn't normal, I use my bluetooth everyday for my wireless keyboard and mighty mouse. Never had a problem like you described, I would definetly
contact Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Try this:

1) Unplug ALL USB devices
2) Power down the computer
3) Leave the computer off for 1 minute (in the case of my powerbook, I took out the battery
4) Reboot the computer
5) Bluetooth should now be working again

And/or this:

1) delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
2) Shutdown
3) Remove battery
4) Leave for a few minutes
5) Insert battery and startup again.

Also try resetting the PMU.
QUOTE Thanks
Craig

Craig is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM

I have this same problem aswell. Luckily I don't need my bluetooth often. Apple's solution on their support pages is basically what Pulse-8 said, power down, reboot. Doesn't always work. It's a pretty poor solution to the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I have this same problem aswell. Luckily I don't need my bluetooth often. Apple's solution on their support pages is basically what Pulse-8 said, power down, reboot. Doesn't always work. It's a pretty poor solution to the problem.

more like a band-aid on a cut that needs stitches!

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
As long as it is in warranty, the solution is to take it to Applecare. I didn't spend all of that money for nothing

I don't really mind taking it in, plus it gives me an excuse to go and browse :thumbsup:

That in combination with the no sleeping issue plus the flickering screen (it has started again, they replaced the inverter once before) should make for an interesting trip
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook protective ware | idling ram? »