New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - The Screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mxee

Mxee is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I am considering to buy a MBP, but first i want to know if the hatch on the screen is loose and flappy or nice and tight like a IBM laptop.

Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Uh? Latch or hinge? The hinge is nice in that the display stays in place. The hinge is snug.
QUOTE Thanks
slashd0t

slashd0t is an unknown at this point

I use three laptops (IBM T42, MBP and T60p) and I can tell you the hinge is perfect on the MBP
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't have a clue what an IBM laptop is like - and by hatch (are u in UK or where is it called that?) assume you mean the hinge - my screen will stay in any position I place it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

I have a ThinkPad R31 (old, yes) and, from my observation at the Apple store, I'd say the MBP hinge is not as tight. To me that's a good thing because the R31 is so tight it requires two hands to adjust the screen!
That said, the MBP screen doesn't seem to go anywhere but where you put it, like bobtomay said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
Mxee

Hi, yeah i ment the hinge. Sorry

Thank you for the answers
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Hi Mxee.....I have an Acer (work) a Asus (Home daughter) and my really nice MBP.....I can tell you the build quaility and matrial quality on the MBP is the best of the three. Ok the Acer is a budget price PC, but I paid quite a lot for the Asus, and it is a good PC, howvere I feel the MBP is a better machine...and I'm not biased like some on the forum.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
andrebnu

andrebnu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB

I agree....hinge on my MBP is perfect.
QUOTE Thanks
Prise

Prise is on a distinguished road

Prior to using the Macbook Pro, the notebooks I've used had been various Asus and IBMs (I've used every model from the T40 - T43). The "hinge" on the Thinkpads were all more snug than on the Macbook, which is not to suggest the latter is flimsy.

The Asus I used was the model V6V. In design, it is very similar to the Macbook Pro's. Asus was once a major OEM for Apple, and the Macbook Pro's construction characteristics will be very similar to the Asus V6V. Since it's such a dated model, I'm not sure if you can find one to examine in closer detail.
QUOTE Thanks
Mxee

Sound like the hinges is fine, i hate when the screen is loose, like on my crappy Zepto 6615WD

Thank you for the replies

Cheers from Denmark
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Computer turning off | College Macbook bag »