New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - is this the logic board again?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

j-dubh

j-dubh is on a distinguished road

hi - I'm using an old G3 ibook which I love and am trying to remain faithful to despite the screen only coming on at certain angles and the motor in the combo drive having given out. I've had the logic board replaced once - it's in the dodgy batch as far as I can tell. However now the screen is completely black at start up. I can still access everything via firewire from a desk-top mac (ie the hard drive is fine and all the data is still there) and occasionally it will start up - date reset but otherwise OK - but seems to be suffering from a loose connection somewhere in that when I moved it a bit it flickered and died. I'm wondering if it's the logic board again but have been told this are not typical symptoms - I don't really have money to spend on it as I'm studying this year. Anyone got any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, j-dubh.

There's a couple of things you can try like Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM and Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU).

Report back to let us know how these go.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

If resetting doesn't work, head over here and rip that mother open. Nothing to be afraid of.

www.ifixit.com
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Yup! 99% sure it IS the logic board.

I have had the same problem. I posted about it on my blog and got alot of replys from other people who have had the problem.

If you want to drop by and check it out its here
QUOTE Thanks
j-dubh

thank you all for the replies - I will let you know how it goes...
QUOTE Thanks
dod

dod is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.5 core2duo, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD; 12" ibook g3 600mhz, 640mb ram, 100GB HD

i would check out the inverter board and inverter cable, i am going through similar problems with my g3. the screen would only light at certain angles and if it moved it went black again.
QUOTE Thanks
j-dubh

so I found out that it is the logic board (again) but apparently Apple don't want to replace it even though it's in the serial number range of the dodgy batch. That seems a little unfair to me. Has anyone else had any luck getting logic boards replaced?
QUOTE Thanks
j-dubh

Did my own fix-it job after some help from here and ifixit.com. I took the bottom casing off, stuck some paper/card (ok there's a fire-risk but I'll deal with that) in there on top of the square in the metal at the appropriate place to put some pressure on the bad connection. It's working fine. Thanks to you all.

J
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help with pairing my Bluetooth Headset to my Macbook | Clean Screen »