Specs:
    White Macbook 2.0 ghz
    Odd Optical Drive problem
    For the past couple of weeks(even not longer, not sure), my optical drive has been acting funny. It won't mount most CD's and will attempt to read them, but after about 5 minutes will spit them out. So, while I called Applecare today to resolve a problem with my battery(they are sending me a new one, I'm quite happy with the support I got), I questioned the technician about my drive. She had me turn off the computer, remove the battery, and hold the start button for 5 seconds. And then when restarting hold down Apple+Opt+P+R. At the time, this fixed the problem for the most part. I was atleast able to have the Applecare protection CD mount. The Burned CDs I had still did not work, but oh well. Now after a restart, I have the same problem. Before I go calling Applecare again(seeing as how I won't have the chance until saturday), I was wondering if any else had a solution?

Thank you in advance.

i had a very similar problem. i went through a LOT of troubleshooting before bringing it to the nearby apple store.

check this thread out for tips: Macbook - superdrive - does not play audio CDs

my guess is that you may just have to bring it in to get the drive swapped. but you can try some of the troubleshooting in that thread first.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    White Macbook 2.0 ghz
    ...Sounds like I have the same problem you did. I'll give Applecare a call again either saturday or monday....and depending on what they say, I'll bring it into the Apple store.

Thanks

no problem. hope it's as fast and painless as mine was, if they have to replace it.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

I've been having the same problem. It refuses to play some perfectly unscratched discs. then it woks perfectly with every other disc. from time to time it wont take a black dvd and then later it will work fine.

Specs:
    White Macbook 2.0 ghz
    Ya know...I'm an idiot...I don't know why i called the superdrive and optical drive lol. Either way, I'm going to give apple a call on Monday.

I'm sending mine back to Apple tomorrow and they're sending me a new Macbook White. The optical drive from my one month old Macbook White is now dead. Bad optical drive.

Specs:
    more than one Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblade View Post
    I'm sending mine back to Apple tomorrow and they're sending me a new Macbook White. The optical drive from my one month old Macbook White is now dead. Bad optical drive.
    I wish I got this kind of service... I got the shaft.

On the note of your drive... I have had this happen twice in my history with 2 diff machines... it just happens to these drives with age. a replacement should keep you running for at least another 2 years.

Im not sure if its the same, but on my Powerbook 1.25ghz the optical drive is DVD-R so it wont read +R's

Specs:
    more than one Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbluejayfan View Post
    Im not sure if its the same, but on my Powerbook 1.25ghz the optical drive is DVD-R so it wont read +R's
    This is just a functionality issue, The issue in this thread is an issue of old drives going bad.

Had the same problem
    My new Macbook White had the same issue. I'm expecting a replacement next week. I'm wondering now if this is a major issue with the Macbook White 2009.

Specs:
    more than one Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberryblade View Post
    My new Macbook White had the same issue. I'm expecting a replacement next week. I'm wondering now if this is a major issue with the Macbook White 2009.
    ut oh... at least you guys are getting your problems taken care of.

Thread Information