New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Warm Fuzzy Feeling (had to share)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MMMII

MMMII is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MB 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB ram

Just ordered my Black MacBook (2gb ram, 160 gb hd and Logic Express) to replace my 15" G4 Powerbook (actually my wife will be taking the Powerbook over).

Should be here by May 8th. Can't wait to get fingerprints all over it!

Since it's a new system, I'm thinking about encrypting the drive, will I run into any slowdown when reading the disk due to the encryption?

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

I really don't know about the encryption thing but just wanted to say congratulations on the new addition!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Yes, your computer will have to work through all the extra data to get to what you or it are looking for. How much slower? Depends how complicated you make it. (This would happen to any computer btw)
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
MMMII

Thanks MacHeadCase!

bryphotoguy, not sure what my choices are when encrypting a drive. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
fiveightandten

fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
Thanks MacHeadCase!

bryphotoguy, not sure what my choices are when encrypting a drive. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
One thing you can do is use the disk utility to create an encrypted disk image to keep any sensitive files in. Enable encryption, and it will be password protected. You can just drag any sensitive data into that disk image and it will be completely inaccessible without the password. When you're done, just unmount the disk image and it's safely tucked away.

I believe you may even be able to set it so it unmounts itself when the computer sleeps or something similar. One thing to keep in mind is that you will *not* be able to access any of that data if you forget the password.

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

There are different bit depths so it you choose say 256bit encryption over 128bit, more data is used to coded a file. And to code and decode all this extra data requires more processing power. It works the same as encrypting a WIFI signal.
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks
MMMII

Thanks for the replys.

What both of you said makes sense. Although, I think I'll probably go 128 on the whole thing then.

Again, thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

Isn't there that file vault thing that encrypts your home folder?
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

Yea, i forgot about that. Check the control panel options when you get your Macbook. There should be a security setting. Read up on the vault setting in the manual and find out if that's what you're looking for. I had a glance at it and seemed pretty nifty!
Bryan

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changes for Leopard | may be of interest, excellent macbook bag! »