New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - replaced hand stained macbook top

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AnatomyOfARyan

AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

so i own a macbook. and it looks like crap. i figure i dumped 1100 bucks into this thing, and it should look like this. so i start doing a little research on the web. apparently apple is replacing the tops of our macbooks. why is no one really talking about this? i did a search and barely found anything about it here on the forum, but i found a ton of people complaining about their macbooks looking like crap.

sooooo, take it to the apple store and get it replaced. if you have applecare, its free. if you dont, and still are in your first year of owning the macbook, its free.

i took mine in this morning and the genius bar rep said the parts were in the store, and my macbook would be ready for pick up tomorrow. fast fix, new looking computer. take advantage of this.

17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
HBP

HBP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook CD 2.0ghz

Only works for the older ones, I believe they changed the material to be less porous.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnatomyOfARyan View Post
so i own a macbook. and it looks like crap. i figure i dumped 1100 bucks into this thing, and it should look like this. so i start doing a little research on the web. apparently apple is replacing the tops of our macbooks. why is no one really talking about this? i did a search and barely found anything about it here on the forum, but i found a ton of people complaining about their macbooks looking like crap.

sooooo, take it to the apple store and get it replaced. if you have applecare, its free. if you dont, and still are in your first year of owning the macbook, its free.

i took mine in this morning and the genius bar rep said the parts were in the store, and my macbook would be ready for pick up tomorrow. fast fix, new looking computer. take advantage of this.
Could you please post the link to the website that you found? It would be ineresting to read that so I can have it as a reference when I go to the Apple store here in New Zealand (which is not many). Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios1972 View Post
Could you please post the link to the website that you found? It would be ineresting to read that so I can have it as a reference when I go to the Apple store here in New Zealand (which is not many). Thanks.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304058

got my macbook back this morning. they didnt even have it 24 hours. looks great!

17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

How stained was it? any chance you took a before pict?

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

I got mine done back in Feb/Mar(when ever the Apple Store opened in Southampton, UK) '07. I was suprised.

I went to a week old Apple Store in Southampton, UK. State my problem etc with the coloring issues. They agreed to change the screen bezel, and keyboard/trackpad area. They took all my details from when I had purchased the MacBook from Apple's webby site, They stated they'd call me when the parts were in.
So I pack my MB away in my protective sleeve and then into my bag. By this time the Genius Bar chap has gone! I nip just outside the store and into another store very close to buy a Prawn Mayo Sandwich and I get a call saying the parts are in!! Whoooaaaaa!
So I pop back. with sandwich! Left MB and went and found a seat outside the store. Just as I finish eating the Prawn Mayo Sandwich, I get another call. they'd done it. i popped back in and there she was all cellophane'd up looking like new. They even cleaned my screen.

Now thats service. All this within an hour on a Saturday!

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by symondavis View Post
I got mine done back in Feb/Mar(when ever the Apple Store opened in Southampton, UK) '07. I was suprised.

I went to a week old Apple Store in Southampton, UK. State my problem etc with the coloring issues. They agreed to change the screen bezel, and keyboard/trackpad area. They took all my details from when I had purchased the MacBook from Apple's webby site, They stated they'd call me when the parts were in.
So I pack my MB away in my protective sleeve and then into my bag. By this time the Genius Bar chap has gone! I nip just outside the store and into another store very close to buy a Prawn Mayo Sandwich and I get a call saying the parts are in!! Whoooaaaaa!
So I pop back. with sandwich! Left MB and went and found a seat outside the store. Just as I finish eating the Prawn Mayo Sandwich, I get another call. they'd done it. i popped back in and there she was all cellophane'd up looking like new. They even cleaned my screen.

Now thats service. All this within an hour on a Saturday!

That's crazy! And now I want a prawn mayo sandwich.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

jacefox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcronin View Post
That's crazy! And now I want a prawn mayo sandwich.
I just call it awesome!!
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnatomyOfARyan View Post
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304058

got my macbook back this morning. they didnt even have it 24 hours. looks great!
I checked the site and it is for white macbook. Mine is black. I suppose they don't do this for the black macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

i am unsure whether they do anything with the black macbooks. if it were the same plastic composet, just a different color they might. i talked to my friend that works at the apple store and he stated that certain oils and certain people's hands react differently on the plastic. apparently mine was one of those. as for how bad it was? it wasnt terrible, but from what i understand, the degree of staining isnt the issue. if you have the old plastic, they will replace it as they know its bound to have staining issues down the road. soooooo, get it replaced. heres a picture of the macbook before hand so you can see how it looked...

might as well get it replaced while its free.

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
Virusyn

Virusyn is an unknown at this point

thats pretty bad, i had a differnt problem with a cracked bottom and a cracked palm rest area. Is it me, or is the quality of some of Apple's parts on the white macbook a bit questionable. I'm getting my palmrest replaced in a week, after just having the bottom replaced.
QUOTE Thanks
sockeye

sockeye is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virusyn View Post
thats pretty bad, i had a differnt problem with a cracked bottom and a cracked palm rest area. Is it me, or is the quality of some of Apple's parts on the white macbook a bit questionable. I'm getting my palmrest replaced in a week, after just having the bottom replaced.
Its the cracked palm rests, magsafe power adapter and the above,staining issues that have me aprehensive about purchasing a macbook. maybe a replacement for the macbook is around the corner??? ( hopefully coming with leopard in october!!)
QUOTE Thanks
KahluaFan

KahluaFan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz, 512M RAM, 60GB HDD

Trip to Southampton store is inevitable me thinks! Not too far from me, so will be interesting to see if they replace it. Warranty runs out 1st June so need to get a move on!

Mac: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 60GB HDD, 512MB RAM
PC: AMD 64 3500+, 370GB HDD, 1GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT Extreme, Windows Vista Ultimate
iPods: 6G 80GB White Video, 2G 1GB Shuffle
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

Yes get it done, and then get some of those wrist area protectors. To keep your mac looking sweet for years.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to upgrade Memory-Which type? | Need help Choosing! »