New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - replaced hand stained macbook top


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
AnatomyOfARyan

 
AnatomyOfARyan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 504
AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

AnatomyOfARyan is offline
so i own a macbook. and it looks like crap. i figure i dumped 1100 bucks into this thing, and it should look like this. so i start doing a little research on the web. apparently apple is replacing the tops of our macbooks. why is no one really talking about this? i did a search and barely found anything about it here on the forum, but i found a ton of people complaining about their macbooks looking like crap.

sooooo, take it to the apple store and get it replaced. if you have applecare, its free. if you dont, and still are in your first year of owning the macbook, its free.

i took mine in this morning and the genius bar rep said the parts were in the store, and my macbook would be ready for pick up tomorrow. fast fix, new looking computer. take advantage of this.



17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
HBP

 
HBP's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 16, 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 8
HBP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook CD 2.0ghz

HBP is offline
Only works for the older ones, I believe they changed the material to be less porous.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

 
hagios1972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 24, 2007
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 343
hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

hagios1972 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnatomyOfARyan View Post
so i own a macbook. and it looks like crap. i figure i dumped 1100 bucks into this thing, and it should look like this. so i start doing a little research on the web. apparently apple is replacing the tops of our macbooks. why is no one really talking about this? i did a search and barely found anything about it here on the forum, but i found a ton of people complaining about their macbooks looking like crap.

sooooo, take it to the apple store and get it replaced. if you have applecare, its free. if you dont, and still are in your first year of owning the macbook, its free.

i took mine in this morning and the genius bar rep said the parts were in the store, and my macbook would be ready for pick up tomorrow. fast fix, new looking computer. take advantage of this.
Could you please post the link to the website that you found? It would be ineresting to read that so I can have it as a reference when I go to the Apple store here in New Zealand (which is not many). Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

 
AnatomyOfARyan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 504
AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

AnatomyOfARyan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagios1972 View Post
Could you please post the link to the website that you found? It would be ineresting to read that so I can have it as a reference when I go to the Apple store here in New Zealand (which is not many). Thanks.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304058

got my macbook back this morning. they didnt even have it 24 hours. looks great!



17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

 
rcronin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: New Eng
Posts: 423
rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

rcronin is offline
How stained was it? any chance you took a before pict?

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

 
symondavis's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 29, 2006
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 188
symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

symondavis is offline
I got mine done back in Feb/Mar(when ever the Apple Store opened in Southampton, UK) '07. I was suprised.

I went to a week old Apple Store in Southampton, UK. State my problem etc with the coloring issues. They agreed to change the screen bezel, and keyboard/trackpad area. They took all my details from when I had purchased the MacBook from Apple's webby site, They stated they'd call me when the parts were in.
So I pack my MB away in my protective sleeve and then into my bag. By this time the Genius Bar chap has gone! I nip just outside the store and into another store very close to buy a Prawn Mayo Sandwich and I get a call saying the parts are in!! Whoooaaaaa!
So I pop back. with sandwich! Left MB and went and found a seat outside the store. Just as I finish eating the Prawn Mayo Sandwich, I get another call. they'd done it. i popped back in and there she was all cellophane'd up looking like new. They even cleaned my screen.

Now thats service. All this within an hour on a Saturday!

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks
rcronin

 
rcronin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 20, 2006
Location: New Eng
Posts: 423
rcronin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen

rcronin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by symondavis View Post
I got mine done back in Feb/Mar(when ever the Apple Store opened in Southampton, UK) '07. I was suprised.

I went to a week old Apple Store in Southampton, UK. State my problem etc with the coloring issues. They agreed to change the screen bezel, and keyboard/trackpad area. They took all my details from when I had purchased the MacBook from Apple's webby site, They stated they'd call me when the parts were in.
So I pack my MB away in my protective sleeve and then into my bag. By this time the Genius Bar chap has gone! I nip just outside the store and into another store very close to buy a Prawn Mayo Sandwich and I get a call saying the parts are in!! Whoooaaaaa!
So I pop back. with sandwich! Left MB and went and found a seat outside the store. Just as I finish eating the Prawn Mayo Sandwich, I get another call. they'd done it. i popped back in and there she was all cellophane'd up looking like new. They even cleaned my screen.

Now thats service. All this within an hour on a Saturday!

That's crazy! And now I want a prawn mayo sandwich.

Becky
Web & Graphic Designer, LLL Leader, teacher (in my previous life; pre-kids) and Mama to my two daughters (who think the Apple booty is theirs)
QUOTE Thanks
jacefox

 
jacefox's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 23, 2007
Posts: 50
jacefox is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD

jacefox is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcronin View Post
That's crazy! And now I want a prawn mayo sandwich.
I just call it awesome!!
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

 
hagios1972's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 24, 2007
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 343
hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

hagios1972 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnatomyOfARyan View Post
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304058

got my macbook back this morning. they didnt even have it 24 hours. looks great!
I checked the site and it is for white macbook. Mine is black. I suppose they don't do this for the black macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
AnatomyOfARyan

 
AnatomyOfARyan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 02, 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 504
AnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the roughAnatomyOfARyan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod

AnatomyOfARyan is offline
i am unsure whether they do anything with the black macbooks. if it were the same plastic composet, just a different color they might. i talked to my friend that works at the apple store and he stated that certain oils and certain people's hands react differently on the plastic. apparently mine was one of those. as for how bad it was? it wasnt terrible, but from what i understand, the degree of staining isnt the issue. if you have the old plastic, they will replace it as they know its bound to have staining issues down the road. soooooo, get it replaced. heres a picture of the macbook before hand so you can see how it looked...



might as well get it replaced while its free.



17" 1.86 mhz iMac Core Duo, 13" 1.86 mhz Core Duo MacBook, 60 gig video iPod (black), 4GB iPhone

www.ryanlukewagner.com
QUOTE Thanks
Virusyn

 
Member Since: Oct 05, 2006
Posts: 136
Virusyn is an unknown at this point

Virusyn is offline
thats pretty bad, i had a differnt problem with a cracked bottom and a cracked palm rest area. Is it me, or is the quality of some of Apple's parts on the white macbook a bit questionable. I'm getting my palmrest replaced in a week, after just having the bottom replaced.
QUOTE Thanks
sockeye

 
sockeye's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 24, 2007
Posts: 78
sockeye is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook c2d 2.16ghz 1gig ram 120 gig hdd

sockeye is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virusyn View Post
thats pretty bad, i had a differnt problem with a cracked bottom and a cracked palm rest area. Is it me, or is the quality of some of Apple's parts on the white macbook a bit questionable. I'm getting my palmrest replaced in a week, after just having the bottom replaced.
Its the cracked palm rests, magsafe power adapter and the above,staining issues that have me aprehensive about purchasing a macbook. maybe a replacement for the macbook is around the corner??? ( hopefully coming with leopard in october!!)
QUOTE Thanks
KahluaFan

 
KahluaFan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Eastbourne, England
Posts: 30
KahluaFan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz, 512M RAM, 60GB HDD

KahluaFan is offline
Trip to Southampton store is inevitable me thinks! Not too far from me, so will be interesting to see if they replace it. Warranty runs out 1st June so need to get a move on!

Mac: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 60GB HDD, 512MB RAM
PC: AMD 64 3500+, 370GB HDD, 1GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT Extreme, Windows Vista Ultimate
iPods: 6G 80GB White Video, 2G 1GB Shuffle
QUOTE Thanks
symondavis

 
symondavis's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 29, 2006
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 188
symondavis has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.

symondavis is offline
Yes get it done, and then get some of those wrist area protectors. To keep your mac looking sweet for years.

On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« How to upgrade Memory-Which type? | Need help Choosing! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Anyone seen a good MacBook vs MacBook Pro comparision? techmonkey Switcher Hangout 10 07-12-2007 08:40 PM
Macbook Questions for Macbook Users. SoundsGood Apple Notebooks 25 03-11-2007 03:44 PM
Switching from MacBook Pro to MacBook Osiris22x Schweb's Lounge 12 01-25-2007 04:39 AM
Macbook Decision apple7 Switcher Hangout 3 01-03-2007 12:16 AM
MacBook and EVE Online RabitSquirell OS X - Apps and Games 2 06-19-2006 02:50 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?