New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - start up time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

griffo70

griffo70 is on a distinguished road

mines about 40 seconds iv had it for about a month but it has always been this long , is it average?? but im sure before i bought one i read somewhere it started up in 15 seconds or am i being a stupid ? cheers
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

UserofMacOSX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"

You should feel lucky. The time for my iBook is about 5-10 minutes. I'd kill for 40 seconds!!!

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

40 seconds is very good, even for the Intel machines. It will slow down as your hard-drive fills up, though. So keep your drives clean frequently.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Five to 10 minutes? Something's wrong, obviously. I have a dual 1 GHz G4, and I just timed it from off to usable. With a couple of doodad startup items, it took a shade over 44 seconds. Not a portable, but I'm trying to defend the honour of G4s everywhere.
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

buttuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD

I clocked it at 30 seconds when I first got the MacBook w/ 1 GB ram. Now it's 25 seconds with 2 GB ram.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
Five to 10 minutes? Something's wrong, obviously. I have a dual 1 GHz G4, and I just timed it from off to usable. With a couple of doodad startup items, it took a shade over 44 seconds. Not a portable, but I'm trying to defend the honour of G4s everywhere.
Yes, MINUTES. From the time I push the button, it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to stop "thinking" when it reaches the desktop. The grayish Apple screen with the circle spinner thing stays up for about 3 minutes, then another 3 or more on the "Loading Mac OS X" screen. Then about 2 for it to stop clicking on the desktop. We start the process of clicking and "thinking" all over again when I launch my Apps. I just click Safari, iChat, iTunes, and Mail all at the same time so I can just get it over with.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserofMacOSX View Post
You should feel lucky. The time for my iBook is about 5-10 minutes. I'd kill for 40 seconds!!!
When was the last time you let the maintenance scripts run?
When was the last time you cleared out system caches?
What do you have in your startup items?
How many items do you have on your Desktop at any given time?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

My startups were slowing down, but then I ran Onyx and it cleared the problem right up. Our very own Pulse-8 has created the easiest to follow guide on how to use the program, and those instructions can be found here. Don't worry, Pulse may have offended the unit as a whole, but he still made the easiest to follow instructions I've ever read. I'm just kidding about offending us, Pulse.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

D3v1L80Y:
1. I don't know what that is, but I have used MainMenu and OnyX
2. 5 days ago, with MainMenu. I don't like to do that because I have to re-login to everything,
3. None
4. I have Macintosh HD and that is it.

Here is a picture of my desktop at any given time:

Customer:
I ran OnyX and let it do everything it could. Nothing has seemed to help.

Thank you both!!!

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

That does seem just a touch slow....mine is 20 seconds until I can start opening and using programs.
In a windows machine there are lots of programs which have secretly put scrpits that run when you boot up. My windows laptop, which is not as modern as my MBP, takes about 2 minutes to load.
You are running a bare bones basic system by the look of things. I would be inclined to take it to shop you bought it from and have them take a quick peek.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

If it's really a problem, you can reinstall OS X. But that should only be done under EXTREME circumstances, or so I've heard. I've never done a reinstall.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

mine is fast i will time later but when my hard drive had only like 5gb left it was very slow my mac is a macbook 2ghz and 2gb and now i have the 100gb hard drive it flys
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserofMacOSX View Post
Yes, MINUTES. From the time I push the button, it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to stop "thinking" when it reaches the desktop. The grayish Apple screen with the circle spinner thing stays up for about 3 minutes, then another 3 or more on the "Loading Mac OS X" screen. Then about 2 for it to stop clicking on the desktop. We start the process of clicking and "thinking" all over again when I launch my Apps. I just click Safari, iChat, iTunes, and Mail all at the same time so I can just get it over with.
What do you mean by clicking? Is it an actual noise your computer is making or something else?
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

You know, like the "thinking" sound that any computer makes when opening an application or doing something "strenuous." That is the best way I know of to describe the sound. If it helps, it is coming from the left side of the computer, right under my palm.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Sort of like a light grinding noise? Or is it a sharper clicking noise, like a fast tapping?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How Do I? | External Hardrive (i think) »