New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - battery update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mi6

mi6 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Air Core 2 Duo 2gig ram

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook...batteryupdate/
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

buttuh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 GHz C2D MacBook 2GB RAM 80GB HD

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacbookMan

MrMacbookMan is on a distinguished road

I updated but am a little concerned because apple has all those warnings about possible problems after updating, what do you guys think?

I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Software Update just popped up on my screen and I see something called Battery Update version 1.2. All it says is that it updates the battery firmware and improves battery functionality. Going to Apple's website doesn't provide much more information, just a list of supported Macs and how to tell whether you have the latest update.

Has anybody installed this yet? If so, has there been any noticeable difference in your battery performance?

I'm always wary of running system updates. I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wouldn't want to update and then find it negatively affected my system.
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

I ran the update but didn't notice any difference.
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

I ran the update and still have my x over the battery icon. I think it might be there to prevent more people from getting the x but I'm not certain. It could just be bad batteries, but I still think it was in the 10.4.9 update.
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

updated dont seam any diffrent but have realy tested it and if apple brake it apple can buy me a new one lol
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteNoiseMaker

WhiteNoiseMaker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB

From appleinsider

Quote:
Apple discovers issue with MacBook batteries, offers solutions

By Katie Marsal

Published: 06:00 PM EST

Apple said Friday it has discovered that some batteries used in its MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks may have performance issues and is offering a software update that is designed to improve performance.

The 244KB Battery Updater will check to see if a battery needs to be updated on startup, wake from sleep, and when a battery is inserted.

"If in these cases there is no AC power supplied, it will then wait until AC power is present and then check to see if the battery needs to be updated," Apple said. "If the battery needs to be updated it will update it automatically. Wait 30 seconds before you validate the installation."

The update supports essentially every MacBook system produced by the company thus far, including: MacBook, MacBook (Late 2006), MacBook Pro (15-inch), MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), MacBook Pro (17-inch) and MacBook Pro (17-inch Core 2 Duo).

Apple notes that after Battery Update has been installed, each battery inserted into the MacBook or MacBook Pro will be updated automatically.

If, after installing the battery update, the battery has any of the symptoms listed here, Apple urges MacBook owners to make a reservation to bring their computer with its battery to a local Apple Retail Store, or contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP), or call a local Apple Support Contact Center.

If Apple or an AASP determines that a battery is eligible for replacement, MacBook owners will receive a new battery, free of charge, even if their MacBook or MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

The repair program extends repair coverage on the battery for up to two years from the date of purchase of the computer for Intel Core Duo-based MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.

Apple said it will continue to evaluate the battery update program and will provide further extensions as needed.
Can't say I've seen any difference in performance.
QUOTE Thanks
buttuh

Now while there is no difference in the performance of the battery. I did notice that my AC charger is extremely hot. I mean normally it's warm, but last night it was HOT.
QUOTE Thanks
d_rock

d_rock is on a distinguished road

My AC charger and MBP have both been hotter than usual.

I'm not 100% sure it's due to the update, but I'm betting it is.

Is it possible to downgrade?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD won't boot... can't get firewire link to read drive to work... help! :) | Prospective IAR Student »