Macbook digital output?

Macbook digital output?
    On apples spec page it list the macbok as having a combined headphone output as well as digital output.

Now as far as I can tell I'm using an 1/8 connection of the audio out of the macbook to a set of labtop speakers ( rca).

Now if it's true tha this same output of te macbok is a true digital connection how is it that I can acheive this?

Obviously it's not using optical, maybe mini coax?

Someone who knows about audio & this issue please help me out

, peace

Macbook digital output?
    Specs:
    MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
    That is as uncommon as you my think. I have a minidisc recorder/player it also combines the same line-in for analog and optical. Some more modern minidiscs combine analog/optical outputs as well. I have seen speaker systems and amplifiers do the same.

The cable should look a like this one (compared to a standard analog 1/8, optical on top)...

I'll try to get a better picture(s) later but this one should give you the idea, i don't know the exact name, but the cable is fairly common.
    [is pointless to click here]

Macbook digital output?
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    To use the digital output you need an optical audio cable and a receiver or hifi system with digital audio inputs.

Macbook digital output?
    Specs:
    MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by mraya View Post
    That is as uncommon as you my think. I have a minidisc recorder/player it also combines the same line-in for analog and optical. Some more modern minidiscs combine analog/optical outputs as well. I have seen speaker systems and amplifiers do the same.

The cable should look a like this one (compared to a standard analog 1/8, optical on top)...

I'll try to get a better picture(s) later but this one should give you the idea, i don't know the exact name, but the cable is fairly common.

as above, even if you go to the stores and by a TOS link cable you sometimes get the 3.5mm adapter for the end. As most hi-fi's and AV equipment have the square TOS link connectors.
    On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!

Macbook digital output?

I have used an optical cable and adapter to an external DAC - the former is likely to be the better option.

Macbook digital output?

Quote Originally Posted by mraya View Post

Thank you, exactly what I needed to kno as most people do not know that the macbook actually has a digital out.

My only mission now is to find this cable.

, peace

Macbook digital output?

Specs:
    BlackBook 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | 1.58Ghz Mac mini G4 1GB RAM, 200GB firewire HD
    Did anyone ever find a way to get an optical cable that hooks into a standard optical or coax receiver input? I'd sure like to hook my macbook up to my receiver with digital sound!

Thread Information