New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Ram

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacGirl

MacGirl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0GHz Black MacBook 160GB HD 2GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMacbookMan View Post
I think everybody here would highly recommend newegg, it's very reliable. I bought my ram from there and had an excellent buying experience. I didn't buy that brand though so can't review on that. Good luck!
What brand did you buy? Would you recommend the brand you bought?

MacGirl
2GHz black MacBook 160MB 2GB RAM
60GB white iPod & 8GB blue Nano
iPhone 3G 16GB white
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

I purchased 2 GB from NewEgg.com for $109.00 compared to Apple's $350.00. It hasn't arrived yet, but I've asked several members within this forum about them and I haven't had one negative remark... I'll let you know when it comes... but generally speaking, ram is ram (more or less) and if the sticks don't work, you send them back... I've bought non-brand name sticks for my PC's and never had any issues.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfVetSAF View Post
OK, I saw this posted in another thread. I was curious if anyone has purchased sticks from this site and if this link is what I need for my macbook?

Appreciate the input.

Scott

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231116
I went to the link and viewed the product and the reviews. The reviews from both PC and MacBook and MacBook Pro users who bought and installed it in their laptops were all positive so I am ordering one.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Installing/Upgrading RAM is quite easy as you point out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredXM View Post
should I buy a macbook direct from apple store with 2gb of ram, or buy ram similar to this and install it myself. I've seen a video of someone getting to the ram in a macbook and it looks pretty simple.
Just FYI, if you upgrade your MacBooks RAM on the "Production Line" so to speak, which is when you order it from Apple, the cost of RAM is comparable to any 3rd Party RAM provider. It's only when you go to Apple later and try to upgrade or buy RAM that they seem to double their RAM prices ....

I have noticed recently (Thanks Zoolook) that Crucial.com were selling RAM at roughly half price to what I paid for the 2 X 1Gb I bought recently, SO, it's worth checking out if Apple has also dropped their asking prices before making any decisions. Having said that, always make sure you check the specs of the RAM your Mac uses and always be mindful to install/seat the RAM properly if you do it yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
Just FYI, if you upgrade your MacBooks RAM on the "Production Line" so to speak, which is when you order it from Apple, the cost of RAM is comparable to any 3rd Party RAM provider. It's only when you go to Apple later and try to upgrade or buy RAM that they seem to double their RAM prices ....
Looking at the Macbook, Apple charges $175 to upgrade from 1GB to 2GB. Newegg's cheapest 2x1GB set is $104.99 and Crucial's price is $119.99. So not exactly comparable, but not horrendously overpriced either. But you're right about buying it later costing an arm and a leg. Apple charges $350 for 2x1GB modules!!
QUOTE Thanks
JaredXM

JaredXM is on a distinguished road

I think I may just upgrade the ram from 1 Gig to 2 myself. Looking at an educational discount its $157 to upgrade from 1 to 2 for me. But I've installed RAM on many machines myself and don't have any problems with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory upgrade | Power cord... »