New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook Pro memory upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Charlotte_RG

Charlotte_RG is on a distinguished road

Hi

I'm studying graphic design in college, and I've had my PC for 4 years. I'm now thinking of buying a MacBook Pro 15": 2,16 GHz.
It comes with 1 GB RAM, I was thinking of buying it with an extra 1 GB RAM memory upgrade, so I'd have a 2 GB memory. It's because I use alot of heavy software simultaniously, like Illustrator, Photoshop, etc etc.

Should I indeed buy it with the 1 GB memory upgrade so it would come with 2 GB memory? What are the advantages? Does it make it faster?

Thanks

Charlotte
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

So, you're trying to decide between purchasing with 1 GB and upgrading to 2 GB yourself or buying with 2GB?

I bought mine with 1 GB and upgraded to 2 GB myself because it was cheaper, but buying with the upgrade gets you a faster processor and more video RAM. It sounds like you could use all that, so if you have the money, I'd get the upgraded MBP. I wouldn't get the upgrade to 3 GB. At $575, you can definitely buy cheaper in the aftermarket.

Apple does need to upgrade some of its components. The graphics card is very dated already.
QUOTE Thanks
VanillaEps

VanillaEps will become famous soon enough

Much cheaper to upgrade yourself. Order the memory at the same time as your purchase. Install the extra memory as soon as you receive it.
QUOTE Thanks
Charlotte_RG

Hi
I did think about buying the 15" one that already came with 2 GB at first, but I really can't afford it. In my country the 15" MacBook Pro with 1 GB costs 2731 dollars, whereas the 15" MacBook Pro with 2 GB and more video ram costs 3597 dollars. I really can't afford that and the apple store next to my house will sell me the extra 1 GB memory for only 219 dollars, so I guess it will be cheaper if I buy the extra memory, instead of the MBP that already comes with 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

new egg has a 1gb memory stick for $70 I believe...a lot cheaper than buying it from apple.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...top+1gb+memory

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

Just backing up what's already been said. I just purchased 2 GB for my macbook at $102 whereas Apple wants $350. I've heard nothing but good reviews for Newegg (which is where I bought my sticks as well). Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Charlotte_RG

Hi
Thanks for the help, guys!

I'm very very very sorry if this is a stupid question (I don't know much about computers and/or laptops) but if I was to buy memory sticks from Newegg instead of my Apple Store, would it work on my MacBook Pro seeing as Newegg is an American site and my MacBook pro will be the european version. Are there differences with the computers? I'm asking this because as DVD regions are different, and battery plugs also I was wondering if there is any problem with installing american memory sticks in a european MacBook Pro?
QUOTE Thanks
Charlotte_RG

Also, I was over at Newegg and I'm kind of confused, could anyone help me out here? How many entries for memory sticks does the MacBook Pro come with? If I want the macbook pro to have 3 GB memory, the original one I buy will already come with 1 GB, so is it ok for me to buy a CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) and if I instal it will my MacBook Pro have 3 GB memory?
QUOTE Thanks
Charlotte_RG

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but newegg doesn't ship internationally, do you know of any good sites to by memory that ship internationally?
QUOTE Thanks
MiggidyMac

MiggidyMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

memoryamerica has international shipping i believe. Computer Memory Upgrades - PC & Mac Memory - SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3 RAM
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

It doesn't matter where your computer was bought or which language it's set to regarding the memory.

For most people, getting the extra memory either built-in or as a retrofit from Apple is tantamount to throwing money down the toilet.

Memory upgrade is dead simple, doesn't invalidate warranty - it's even in the manual.

Go for it. I bought 2 Gb ram sticks (two off) for a total of 50 GBP (about 70 USD).

Mac Junkie
- MacBook Pro 2.4, 500Gb, 4Gb
- MacBook Air (wife's), - iPad 2 64Gb
- 2 x iPod Touch 32Gb and iPhones 3GS 32Gb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to combat overheating | Hi Guys - New to having my own Apple Computer »