Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   MacBook Pro memory upgrade (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/60694-macbook-pro-memory-upgrade.html)

Charlotte_RG 04-27-2007 04:35 AM

MacBook Pro memory upgrade

Hi

I'm studying graphic design in college, and I've had my PC for 4 years. I'm now thinking of buying a MacBook Pro 15": 2,16 GHz.
It comes with 1 GB RAM, I was thinking of buying it with an extra 1 GB RAM memory upgrade, so I'd have a 2 GB memory. It's because I use alot of heavy software simultaniously, like Illustrator, Photoshop, etc etc.

Should I indeed buy it with the 1 GB memory upgrade so it would come with 2 GB memory? What are the advantages? Does it make it faster?

Thanks

Charlotte

fleurya 04-27-2007 02:25 PM

So, you're trying to decide between purchasing with 1 GB and upgrading to 2 GB yourself or buying with 2GB?

I bought mine with 1 GB and upgraded to 2 GB myself because it was cheaper, but buying with the upgrade gets you a faster processor and more video RAM. It sounds like you could use all that, so if you have the money, I'd get the upgraded MBP. I wouldn't get the upgrade to 3 GB. At $575, you can definitely buy cheaper in the aftermarket.

Apple does need to upgrade some of its components. The graphics card is very dated already.

VanillaEps 04-27-2007 03:39 PM

Much cheaper to upgrade yourself. Order the memory at the same time as your purchase. Install the extra memory as soon as you receive it.

Charlotte_RG 04-28-2007 05:41 PM

Hi
I did think about buying the 15" one that already came with 2 GB at first, but I really can't afford it. In my country the 15" MacBook Pro with 1 GB costs 2731 dollars, whereas the 15" MacBook Pro with 2 GB and more video ram costs 3597 dollars. I really can't afford that and the apple store next to my house will sell me the extra 1 GB memory for only 219 dollars, so I guess it will be cheaper if I buy the extra memory, instead of the MBP that already comes with 2 GB

Village Idiot 04-28-2007 07:42 PM

new egg has a 1gb memory stick for $70 I believe...a lot cheaper than buying it from apple.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...top+1gb+memory

GulfVetSAF 04-28-2007 07:53 PM

Just backing up what's already been said. I just purchased 2 GB for my macbook at $102 whereas Apple wants $350. I've heard nothing but good reviews for Newegg (which is where I bought my sticks as well). Cheers

Charlotte_RG 04-29-2007 05:27 PM

Hi
Thanks for the help, guys!

I'm very very very sorry if this is a stupid question (I don't know much about computers and/or laptops) but if I was to buy memory sticks from Newegg instead of my Apple Store, would it work on my MacBook Pro seeing as Newegg is an American site and my MacBook pro will be the european version. Are there differences with the computers? I'm asking this because as DVD regions are different, and battery plugs also I was wondering if there is any problem with installing american memory sticks in a european MacBook Pro?

Charlotte_RG 04-29-2007 05:34 PM

Also, I was over at Newegg and I'm kind of confused, could anyone help me out here? How many entries for memory sticks does the MacBook Pro come with? If I want the macbook pro to have 3 GB memory, the original one I buy will already come with 1 GB, so is it ok for me to buy a CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) and if I instal it will my MacBook Pro have 3 GB memory?

Charlotte_RG 04-29-2007 05:41 PM

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but newegg doesn't ship internationally, do you know of any good sites to by memory that ship internationally?

MiggidyMac 06-24-2009 03:56 PM

memoryamerica has international shipping i believe. Computer Memory Upgrades - PC & Mac Memory - SDRAM, DDR, DDR2, DDR3 RAM

brianwmay 06-24-2009 04:38 PM

It doesn't matter where your computer was bought or which language it's set to regarding the memory.

For most people, getting the extra memory either built-in or as a retrofit from Apple is tantamount to throwing money down the toilet.

Memory upgrade is dead simple, doesn't invalidate warranty - it's even in the manual.

Go for it. I bought 2 Gb ram sticks (two off) for a total of 50 GBP (about 70 USD).