New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Memory help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

teknic

teknic is on a distinguished road

I know it might sound silly to some people here but Im still learning my way around macs.
I have a 40 GB ibook g4 in which I have over 4000 songs and a few hundreds pics. I do not want to erase neither of those files.
lately Im getting a message over and over again that says my startup disk is full and I need to make more space for the system to work properly.
What can I do?
QUOTE Thanks
XMARLTONX

XMARLTONX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

What format are your songs in? AAC takes up less space than mp3, so you could convert them.

You could also run an application such as Monolingual and remove unwanted languages, some people save 2-3GBs.

Also, are there programs on your Mac that you dont use? You could uninstall them.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You have to get rid of files. Just get rid of what you do not need first. That's really all you can do.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you don't use garageband remove it and it stuff in the shared folder. That will free up a lot of space also.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacbookMan

MrMacbookMan is on a distinguished road

you could just get an external hard drive and store all of your pictures and songs on there to free up space on your internal hard drive.

I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.
QUOTE Thanks
teknic

teknic is on a distinguished road

Can Iupgrade to a bigger hard drive, say 160GB. So all my music, pictures would fit and there would be space left?
Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
tatt001

tatt001 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook1.83GHzC2D 4GB Ram 320GB HDD DL Superdrive iMac C2D 2GHz 3GB Ram 1TB HDD DL Superdrive

You can upgrade to 250GB. It depends on which model iBook G4 you have. The earlier models could only access can only use about 120GB of the HDD capacity.

Check out ifixit.com for installation instructions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Powerbook G4 wakeup problem - nobody can fix! | How can I make it stop?? »