New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - brand new harddrive failure?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Atomskk

Atomskk is on a distinguished road

2 weeks ago when I attempted to boot up my computer I recieved a kernal panic error, and it persisted every time i tried to boot after that. I took it to the genius bar and the guy hooked it up to an external hard drive where it booted just fine, so its not the ram, mobo, or vid card. He then looked at the hard drive and saw that it was red and said "fatal error" or something. The hard drive would not mount. He said it would need to be replaced. So I went home and I ordered a new hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136042

Well I received it today and installed it correctly. However when I tried to boot up for the first time with the disk I STILL HAD A KERNAL PANIC ERROR!!!!!!! what is going on? Im so upset, i dont know what to do.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

This is booting with the OSX DVD? You have not even been able to install to the new hard drive as yet?
QUOTE Thanks
Atomskk

i am borrowing a friends dvd because i cant find the originals that came with my computer, but i cant boot it up, i cant get to the drive, i cant format it, kernal panic straight when i turn it on.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomskk View Post
i am borrowing a friends dvd because i cant find the originals that came with my computer, but i cant boot it up, i cant get to the drive, i cant format it, kernal panic straight when i turn it on.
Is your friends machine who's DVD you are using the same exact machine? A lot of the install media is coded to the type of machine and will error if you try to boot on a different machine. Just wondering if that is the issue since it booted fine at the Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks
Atomskk

he has a brand new mac book with 10.4.8 cds and I have a 3 year old powerbook g4. Is this the problem? If i find the original cds will it work?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomskk View Post
he has a brand new mac book with 10.4.8 cds and I have a 3 year old powerbook g4. Is this the problem? If i find the original cds will it work?
There is your problem. You can NOT boot a G4/G5 Mac with a Macbook DVD. One is for Intel the other for Power PC. Can you find your media? If not get a hold of Apple. I am pretty sure from what happened at the Apple Store if you find your Media all will work. Just be sure once in the installer to run the Disc Utility and partition/Erase the new drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Atomskk

<3 Thank You!! :3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My entire display has gone inverted. | Screen alignment flicker »