New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Adobe CS3: Macbook VS. Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maniefrizzle

maniefrizzle is on a distinguished road

I hate to bring up this up but i'm ready to pull the trigger on a purchase. How would the two books compare using CS3? MB 2 GHz C2D w/ 2Gb ram VS MBP 2.16 C2D 2Gb ram.

The programs i use in the suite are Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Most of the time i have all these open plus the usual Mail, iTunes and Safari. You think the macbook can handel all these programs opened? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniefrizzle View Post
I hate to bring up this up but i'm ready to pull the trigger on a purchase. How would the two books compare using CS3? MB 2 GHz C2D w/ 2Gb ram VS MBP 2.16 C2D 2Gb ram.

The programs i use in the suite are Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Most of the time i have all these open plus the usual Mail, iTunes and Safari. You think the macbook can handel all these programs opened? Thanks!
Well the MBP has a larger screen for a start which for anything design oriented is always going to help. The slightly faster CPU won't make a huge difference, but if precious seconds matter to you, you may appreciate it, and I don't think the GPU is used extensively for any of these apps.

The MBP is a better machine overall, so all else being equal, get this. Having said that, a MacBook could handle all of those programmes, it'd just get crowded on the screen.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
maniefrizzle

If these apps don’t require the GPU that much I think I will go with the macbook cause of the portability. I do have desktops at work and home so the screen size shouldn’t really matter. I was just worried about the intergraded video versus the ATI chip in the MBP. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

Yeah the intregrated chip only really effects 3d rendering and the new Final Cut won't run on integrated chips but for what you've listed it should be fine. I purchased a macbook with 2gigs of ram mainly for use with photoshop so I could have a good portable to edit pictures while away from home.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

With 2GB of ram you should be able to run CS3 fine on a MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Richie_Gecko

Richie_Gecko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro

Here's what I recommend:

2GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB RAM + the Cinema Display of your choice!

Mac: White MacBook; 2.0 Core Duo; 2GB RAM; 100GB 7200 RPM; 20" Cinema Display
PC: 64 x2 Dual Core 5200+, 2 GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM SATA, GeForce 7600GT 128MB
Car: 2008 Toyota Prius w/ Lots of Goodies
On the Internets: Flickr | My Site
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

I think either would work well as long as you have at least 2 Gig of RAM installed.

I have CS2 running on the MB Pro and it is works well, cannot wait to pick up the CS3 to run natively and see what improvements in speed there are.

http://www.lightcafe.net

New servers, much faster than before
QUOTE Thanks
maniefrizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_Gecko View Post
Here's what I recommend:

2GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 2GB RAM + the Cinema Display of your choice!
i read that the MBP can power a 30"+ display. what's the max screen size the macbook can output? i do have a 32" LCD TV with a rez of 1366x768 that i would love to use with it.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I was running CS2 with 1GB RAM on a Macbook and it was crap. I was editing a file 100-150MB and it would lag. I blamed it on the integrated graphics chip. I also ran the iTunes little visualizer at full screen w/o anything else running and it maxed at 30fps. I sold it and got the iMac 20". Not that comparing the two is very equal but w/ 2GB RAM and the 128MB vid card, photoshop is a breeze and iTunes visualizer tops out at 62ish FPS.
Go with the MBP. You will be so glad you did, trust me. It's worth every penny!
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
ccasey

ccasey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
I was running CS2 with 1GB RAM on a Macbook and it was crap. I was editing a file 100-150MB and it would lag. I blamed it on the integrated graphics chip. I also ran the iTunes little visualizer at full screen w/o anything else running and it maxed at 30fps. I sold it and got the iMac 20". Not that comparing the two is very equal but w/ 2GB RAM and the 128MB vid card, photoshop is a breeze and iTunes visualizer tops out at 62ish FPS.
Go with the MBP. You will be so glad you did, trust me. It's worth every penny!
Bryan
Bryan,

CS2 runs in emulation which is very memory-intensive. Add to that a large file, and it's a recipe for lag. However, I wouldn't put that down to a video chip at all. If you had added a 2nd gig of RAM you'd likely have had a better time. Alternatively, you might have had better luck with CS3 (even the beta that was available for the past 6 months or so, assuming it worked for you).

The iTunes visualizer, though, is definitely a test of 3D hardware. So of course you got lower speed out of the integrated solution.

Anyway, glad you're happy with the iMac.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
proxy

proxy is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb

I think its best to go for the macbook as thats what i went for and i do the same work as you using photoshop i also do 3d work and the macbook runs everything fine with no problems my friend had a pro the same one you are looking at and is planing to sell it as he wants the smaller screen of a macbook and as you can go to 3gb of ram in mb or mbp there is not much of a diffrence in performance.

so the main thing is what feels right i love my macbook glossy screen for photoshop work it just looks grate when you show a client also i use a 32" hdtv for a monitor if i want some thing big to look at.

also the basic size of the macbook is grate its nice and small and light to carry about all day.
QUOTE Thanks
maniefrizzle

thanks for all the input guys. i just placed an order for the macbook and at newegg i got 2 gigs of ram ($117 shipped + $40 rebate!). Now the waiting game -_-
QUOTE Thanks
maniefrizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
I was running CS2 with 1GB RAM on a Macbook and it was crap. I was editing a file 100-150MB and it would lag. I blamed it on the integrated graphics chip. I also ran the iTunes little visualizer at full screen w/o anything else running and it maxed at 30fps.

okay, i just got my macbook 2ghz C2D w/2gig ram today (!!!!!) i ran the visualizer on itunes and got 60 to 63 FPS. so it seems like the video memory is not that much of a factor when it comes to itunes. my extra gig of ram has to be the big difference. anyways i am very satisfied with my purchase and cant wait till i install CS3
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Does the MB automatically sleep when you close it? | Compatibility with 22 inch widescreen LCD? »