New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook Black vs Macbook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brinasty

brinasty is on a distinguished road

Hi im new to these forums and mac's laptops. So heres my dilemma. Im preparing to buy a laptop for college and its hard to decide between a black Macbook and and a Macbook Pro. Just to let you see the specs are as follows

13 inch black macbook
2.0 ghz
* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive1
* Double-layer SuperDrive

VS

15 inch macbook pro
2.16 ghz
* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1440 x 900 pixels
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive1
* 6x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM

Im really not sure what to buy. I was thinking if i bought a black macbook i would have additional money to spend on maybe getting an awesome monitor to compliment it. Im also in need of a cell phone for college too. Im just confused and any input would help. Thanks. :dive:
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

The all important question is, what do you want to do with your laptop? what will you mainly be using it for? If it's just typical college use then the Macbook would be a good choice. If you're looking for something more for gaming, intense 3d graphic design and rendering then the macbook pro would better suit your needs.
QUOTE Thanks
brinasty

brinasty is on a distinguished road

Well im not much of a gamer anymore. Id probably use it to surf the internet, do stuff for school, i dunno just common uses. Watch movies listen to music. Just typical stuff. But i also do some video editing at school right now with FCP and id still like to do that. Hmm...
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

ok, since you plan on doing some work with FCP, might wanna go with the pro, not sure if FCP works with integrated graphics chips. At least according to the FCP Studio package on apple's site certain applications included in the studio require a non-integrated graphics chip.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Based on your intended use, the Macbook would have been perfect. But since you mentioned Final Cut Pro, that changes things a bit. According to Apple's website, Final Cut isn't compatible with integrated graphics, so if you really want to use FCP on your laptop, then you're sort of stuck with the Macbook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
digitalscrap

digitalscrap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

Final Cut Express HD runs fine on a MacBook though, so if that would meet your needs as far as video editing goes, then a MacBook with 2GB of RAM would save you quite a bit of money, especially if the Final Cut usage is just going to be casual usage.
QUOTE Thanks
MrMacbookMan

MrMacbookMan is on a distinguished road

If you're not going to be doing anything really "hardcore" you'll probably be fine with a macbook. My macbook (once upgrading the 512 ram to 1 gig) has been plenty fast for regular daily use and a little gaming. It really depends how much money you have to spend and what you need it for, good luck in your choice!

I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

I have a MB white. Remember, with the black - you might get fingerprints on it that'll show easily.

I've also used the MBP, and it does get quite hot sometimes (without doing anything drastic, just some C++ programming/compiling)
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

If you have the money for the MBP, get it. If you are doing anything semi-intensive or planning on it, the MB will limit you. The integrated graphics will slow you down as well as the little 13" monitor. I got rid of mine after 3 months of use. I had a white macbook and it is way to expensive for what little it actually did for me in terms of handling my photo work.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

i would go with the macbook and use the money u saved to max it out with 2gb ram....the macbook is much more portable and will suit ur needs perfectly...the 160 mhz processor difference is hardly noticeable...

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Adapter | Batteerrryyy Heeelllppp!!!! »