New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Save Money on Superdrive (External DVD-R?)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeytpg

Guys......here's the thing......i've been compairing the prices at applestore, and i've come to this conclussion. i can save some money buying the COMBO drive and then getting an External DVD-R right?.......how much can an external dvd-r for Mac cost?......i saw, like 90 bucks for a DVD-r.......but i don't know if it's only for PC's! :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Well maybe as long as it fits a USB port it may work right?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

90 bucks? highly doubtful....for a decent one its like 220
but you can not use iDVD with the external (there is a hack) natively

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
Damn!.....anyways.....if you're short in money....then just cover up with what you got!...maybe i'll get the Combo drive and then LATER get a DVD-R for my Desktop PC.

another question............if you go to applestore, and you click for example the 15" 1.33 Powerbook.....it totales $1,999 right?.... lets say i add up the backlit keyboard (PLUS $69) then it's $2,068 if i buy it...is that THE ONLY AMOUNT i'm going to pay to get it home??...or i'll also have to pay shipping/h etc. etc.?? and how much is it going to be IN THE END? (TOTAL TOTAL TOTAL??)
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

there is sales tax on the site if there is an apple store where you live
and most of the time shipping is not free

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytpg
another question............if you go to applestore, and you click for example the 15" 1.33 Powerbook.....it totales $1,999 right?.... lets say i add up the backlit keyboard (PLUS $69) then it's $2,068 if i buy it...is that THE ONLY AMOUNT i'm going to pay to get it home??...or i'll also have to pay shipping/h etc. etc.?? and how much is it going to be IN THE END? (TOTAL TOTAL TOTAL??)
Tax will be added, but standard ground shipping on orders over $50 is free.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
there is sales tax on the site if there is an apple store where you live
and most of the time shipping is not free
Well in my case my Mac was shipped free, FedEx, but that's my case
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Well in my case my Mac was shipped free, FedEx, but that's my case

why????? :cool:

i want FREE!!

but tell me the TOTAL at the end
QUOTE Thanks
Wapa18

go on apple's online store and do it. then after you see the total, cancel the order.
QUOTE Thanks
Chamorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeytpg
Guys......here's the thing......i've been compairing the prices at applestore, and i've come to this conclussion. i can save some money buying the COMBO drive and then getting an External DVD-R right?.......how much can an external dvd-r for Mac cost?......i saw, like 90 bucks for a DVD-r.......but i don't know if it's only for PC's! :confused:
I bet that getting the SuperDrive is less expensive than getting BOTH a Combo and an external drive....unless you really wanted both anyways.

Keep in mind that you could also get an internal drive and a FireWire case for it (look for Oxford 911 chipset for FireWire 400).
QUOTE Thanks
Tron

Quote:
Here in Taiwan you can get an Asus 4X dual format (+/-) for about $90. There are a few other big names with units priced in the same region.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Taiwan I need to pop over sometime... need a cheap 3rd display.

Hey Tron, is it cheaper in Taiwan or Kong Kong?
QUOTE Thanks
Tron

I'm not really sure, most of my purchases from HK have been mail order of things I couldn't find here. Aren't displays really cheap in China anyways?
QUOTE Thanks
ianlee77

Get the superdrive.
First, it is much more portable than external ones.
Second, you cannot use iDVD on external drives.
Third, at least $170 after educational discount for LaCie external 8x DVD +/- RW w/ Toast 6 Titanium.
I went for combo drive and still regret for not getting superdrive . Although my LaCie does a good job, it's just too bulky to carry around.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Warrenty Information | I bought an ibook on sunday! »