New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Temperature rise after security update??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

I just installed the security update which has just come out and I noticed my Temperature idles at about 57 degrees Centigrade.

I am using SMC fan control and it's the latest version. The temperatures used to idle at about 42 degrees Centigrade. Has anyone else noticed an increase in temperature since doing the update or am I imagining things?

MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz 2Gb RAM 320Gb hard drive
iPhone 4 16Gb
iPod photo 20Gb
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Don't believe I've ever seen my CPU temps below about 52-54c.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

according to the iStat widget I'm running at 41 on my iMac after update. This is the same as before
QUOTE Thanks
ryanwarsaw

ryanwarsaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D

I have noticed that my MBP has run hotter lately. I hadn't attributed it to the update though and think thats possibly a coincidence. The temperature differences however are about the same as what you describe.

63 degrees with fans @ 2,000 RPM now
QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

Rizzo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone

Haven't noticed a difference for mine.
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

I very rarely see my G4 PB 15" below about 55 degrees. Runs nicely at 62.

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
KNEE

KNEE is on a distinguished road

Well I got the new update in my Macbook Pro C2D 2.16, and my temp is still the same, no fan control installed, but i do have istat pro, my temp idle at arround 60......i have never been able to get 54 like what some people get. 60 seems to be ok.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Mine has been running a bit hotter, too. I've noticed two things:

1. A lot of memory is being used up by inactive info. I don't know if this is due to a change in the OS or just a change in my usage that I haven't really noticed. But, the only thing that is running "hot" on my MBP is my memory right now. The processor has been down in the low- to mid-50's where it normally is, but the fans have been working constantly.

2. It's about 15 degrees warmer outside than it was two days ago. I can say for certain, but odds are Apple is not to blame regardless of what Greenpeace says.
QUOTE Thanks
melmation

melmation has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive

Well, I have been wondering for a while now if maybe the fan blades and air ducts in the laptop were getting a nice layer of dust on them. My scanner top is glossy and it needs dusted once a month. I have my fans running high when I am processing a lot of video work. I put 2 and 2 together and thought "Hey, lets take the laptop cover off and see if I can check for dirt, and if there is any, remove it"

I have watched many videos of peole taking their MacBook Pro's appart, read a few scare stories, and set about my way.

All screws removed, gently teasing the keyboard lid up...

Nah, It wasn't going to budge around the disc drive part.

I teased it a little harder...

My laptop then blew up and now I have no laptop!!

Just kidding. My sense got the better of me, and I clicked it all back down again and screwed it together.

One weird thing though, one of the little screws in where the battery sits (which you have to remove to take the laptop appart, not the memory plate screws) wouldn't go back in! It would physically sit in the hole, but turning the screw driver did nothing, so I ended up putting a miniscule ammount of Blue Tac on it to hold it in. Which worked.

I guess if there was any dust, there wouldn't be enough to increase the temperature that much.

I was going to stick the hoover on the vent grills to remove any loose dust, but am too scared of spinning the fans beyond their capacity and burning their motors out.

Best leave it be.

Anyway, cheers for replying to my post, I guess it's just one of those things that happens. To be honest, the third reboot after the update, my laptop temp stayed down under 50 degrees, then over a period of 4 hours, crept up to a constant 57 degrees.

I love my laptop so much, I am terrified of it going wrong, so when subtle changes like that happen, it alerts me.

Oh, and by the way, the laptop is out of warranty so I havent lost anything by attempting to undo the casing - which I wanted to try anyway, as I have planned to fit a faster bigger hard drive at some point.

Looks like an Apple Reseller will be getting some money nstead

MacBook Pro 1.83Ghz 2Gb RAM 320Gb hard drive
iPhone 4 16Gb
iPod photo 20Gb
QUOTE Thanks
ryanwarsaw

ryanwarsaw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0 GHz CD, 20" iMac 2.16 C2D, Blackbook 2.16 GHz C2D

I also had the screws off my MBP. I tried to coax the lid off myself and when it wouldn't budge easily I quickly decided not to force it lol. I guess we have a bit in common.
QUOTE Thanks
cad2blender

cad2blender is on a distinguished road

Nope, no problem here. 120 F @ 2300 RPM.
QUOTE Thanks
Dan Shelley

Dan Shelley is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!!

Yay! I actually get to offer advice for once, instead of always asking!!!

Well I had the same problem.... I updated, and mine has been running alot hotter. So something simple fixed it for me....

I took a DVD case, and stuck it under the back of the MBP. Figured it would lift it up, and release the heat from under it. It worked

I was running at around 64ish..... Now I am running around 56-59!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Battery Logevity | disappointment? »